Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Hustler
Working on your Hustlers..How easy? >

Working on your Hustlers..How easy?

Notices

Working on your Hustlers..How easy?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet motors Rob!!! I'm looking to do the whipples on my 525's any advice pro/cons. Know any place to get a good deal on new or used ones. Thanks Brett
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
Since you do your own work on your boat, how convince is it for you including pulling those engines? I have seen your posts, you have a ton of hours put into that thing, nice!
Thanks,I can have both out in around 2 hours on the ground,The slowest part is taking the bellhousing and motor mounts off putting the engine cradle on it to transport in the truck. going back in and aligning the motors 3 hours and if I had a full day they could be running by the end of the day,the drives take about 3 hoursmy girlfriend has a hard time holding here side of the driveThe B max is hard to lift by yourself,then filling them with oil is over a hour.

Its fun working on it,sometime its alittle work,but having ocd I probaly clean more than anything,Thats all I did this winter was pull them to polish them

The in convince is, I have to use a forklift to lift the motors out and in,the hatch bolts want come outI have to get a buddy to use his fork lift at work.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-whipple-3-1-06-053-large-.jpg   Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-11-07-2-630-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Thanks,I can have both out in around 2 hours on the ground,The slowest part is taking the bellhousing and motor mounts off putting the engine cradle on it to transport in the truck. going back in and aligning the motors 3 hours and if I had a full day they could be running by the end of the day,the drives take about 3 hoursmy girlfriend has a hard time holding here side of the driveThe B max is hard to lift by yourself,then filling them with oil is over a hour.

Its fun working on it,sometime its alittle work,but having ocd I probaly clean more than anything,Thats all I did this winter was pull them to polish them

The in convince is, I have to use a forklift to lift the motors out and in,the hatch bolts want come outI have to get a buddy to use his fork lift at work.

Rob
what about reaching around for spark plugs changes and oil changes, plenty of room????? right now I have a single and like I said, I was set on staggered for the twins but really no choice in the hustlers.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

what about reaching around for spark plugs changes and oil changes, plenty of room????? right now I have a single and like I said, I was set on staggered for the twins but really no choice in the hustlers.
You can do all of the above. There is decent room all around for a side by side boat. We havnt done as much work on a slingshot as Rob, but we have done our fair share of just about everything. With stock motors it will be easier since on ours we had the older style side mounted whipples. Oil changes are a piece of cake and as long as your a decent size spark plugs arnt a problem either. Good luck on your search!! The Slingshot is a great overall boat for the $$$!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

its not that bad on the plugs.My Chevelle is 10 times worse.use 3/8 rat with a 6-10 ext ,sparkplug sock,it takes longer gapping the plugs

You can buy a hose kit for the oil change ,change out the brass fitting and put a quick connect like mine ,rig up the pump (teel) from Grainger with the same ,It will suck out the oil in about 2 min,I put the blue areoquip hose for looks and runs along center stringer and sits right by the seastrainers,(see pick). My oil filter is upside down,just crack it open a little and ital drain back into motor,no mess.I have a hyd 5gal bucket with lid ,

You can reach the drain plug in the oil pan,not fun but ya only have to do it once.

The way the 500efi oil filter is mounted prob make a mess.
On the Port side I put 3 G5 fenders beside the motor and hull side.

Your worrying too much about the engine compartment,its no big deal

I had a 89 28ft Scarab before bought it new keep it 12 years,After buying the Hustler in 2002 I wish I would of sold the Scarab alot earlier!!What kind of boat ya got now? Rob
Attached Thumbnails Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-001.jpg.jpg   Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-003.jpg.jpg   Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-11-07-2-081.jpg  

Old 03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bbaur32
Sweet motors Rob!!! I'm looking to do the whipples on my 525's any advice pro/cons. Know any place to get a good deal on new or used ones. Thanks Brett

Thanks,The cons would be the priceThere high,I would do it again,just have to dig alot deeper nowThe other thing is drives.With the TQ the Whipple makes, its going to eat at least the lower gears,look at my dyno sheet from 2005 with it at 7.11lbs of boost, look at the TQ down low, also its pretty flat at 38-4400,yea it feels good nailing it at peek TQ.I usually try to roll thru it until about 4500,like everybody says it depends on how ya drive it,we all hit it once in a while, thats why we put the Whipples on it.I think of it as like my drag cars ,it going to break,I accept it and even expect it.

Rich oso domanrich had some for sale used?

New I would call Mark at Precision Marine in La. 504-469-7463I bought mine from him and he's the one that dynoed it and did the ecm.The 525 kit will come with the mef4 already programed,should be just bolt it on and go.

At the 7psi you should be real close same HP,mine on a good day ran 99 bad day heavy 96-98, you should be 99-100 ,They say the Bmax cost me a few?

Now I am at 8.45psi around 850+hp,better heads and cam would help,but not picking up much more speed.

Brett if ya need some help just holler

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-11-07-3-032.jpg   Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-dyno%2520%2528large%2529%2520%2528large%2529-large-.jpg  

Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bbaur32

Just remember its never enough,just a pulley change away

Race gas and 11.5 lbs boost.Check out the boost and TQ at 3700 the start of the pull.
Attached Thumbnails Working on your Hustlers..How easy?-11-07-3-115.jpg  

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info. Those dyno sheets tell the storie! Do you know how to get in contact with Rich about the used whipples? I will also contact Mark to get a price from him on two new ones and find out what comes in the kit.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Registered

brett,
give me a shout i have his number,
Will
Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Truth be known, the secret to Strip's quick engine removals is that he uses a lot of wing-nuts! Just kidding. He's the expert. Maintenance access for routine items is a non-issue. The raw water pumps on my Slingshot are a pain (at least for us old guys) because the SpeedMaster/Huber setup moves the engines forward toward the portion of the gas tank that protrudes into the engine bay. My trim/K-plane pumps are mounted on the front corners of the engine bay. I never had any idea where the horn was until it fell off one day and was so well hiden behind the pumps and under the gunnel that it must have been the first part they hung when they built the boat. As Rob will tell you,changing the trim/tab cables is a b***h!

Quick Reply: Working on your Hustlers..How easy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.