Looking at 38 slingshots >

Looking at 38 slingshots

Notices

Looking at 38 slingshots

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 38 slingshots

Can anyone tell me how you like your 38. How is the ride compared to a top gun or 42 fountain? What is the cabin height and what will the boat run with a set of stock 500hps and how does it handle at top speed? Overall how do you like it compared to others.

Thanks

Raf
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Wow that good?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Registered

i would say they are slower than the 42 fountain. Ride is probably pretty good. My guess with 500hps is around low 80s. Cool boats.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by runafever
Wow that good?
You have to be patient. Theres not a lot of traffic on this forum.

The 388 with same power as the 42 will run circles around the 42 Fountain. Its just power to weight ratio. The 388 weighs in at only about 8500 lbs, both are stepped huls. Although I'm not sure I would imagine it might be faster on top end than even a 38' Foutain with same power. Now the newer full staggered Fountains may be a different story.

With that being said the Fountain will ride much better than the Hustler. Not sure if its extra weight or hull design, but they do.

I'm running a pair of N/A 552's that were originally 500 hp's in my 388. I have a buddy with a newer 38' Foutain with full staggered 525's. He sent it back to foutain and they put different programs in the 525's to up the hp. It's hard to say for sure but I'm guessing we are pretty close on hp. With ideal conditions I'm running about 94 mph. In same conditions the Fountain will run about 98 mph. He's running Imco lowers with Herrings and I'm running XR lowers and Bravo props. If you were to take the lowers and props out of the equation I would say the boats would be pretty close. Now put that engine package into a 42' Fountain and its just not going perform with the Hustler.

If you want ride go with the 42' Fountain. If you want speed go with the Hustler. If you want the speed and the ride go with the 38' Fountain (Although its actually not 38' another story). I have the Hustler and love it. It's fast and it's different. I'll back into a dock with 20 other Fountains and it will be the only Hustler. I like that. Fountain is an awesome boat. Either one will be a great choice.

Kieffer
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered

Mine with stock 500efi's runs 82-85 depending on location and conditions, XR's and 28 Hering's, great boats!
been thinking about putting it on the market soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

I am in the market and am between the 388 or the 38 top gun. Any advice would be appreciated.

Keiffer: you mentioned the fountain will ride better than the hustler...what are you referring to? 2'-3' chop, 4'-6'? How is the entry of the hustler, smooth or hard? Is the hustler a smooth running boat or do they slap and pound?

mwdill: If you are thinking about selling your boat, will you post a few pictures?

Thank you guys for your time/opinions!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by runafever
Can anyone tell me how you like your 38. How is the ride compared to a top gun or 42 fountain? What is the cabin height and what will the boat run with a set of stock 500hps and how does it handle at top speed? Overall how do you like it compared to others.

Thanks

Raf
Just traded our fourth 388 for a 39 Rockit, all of them were great boats. Last boat was 2005 388 with #6 arnesons, we took our Young Performance motors out and put them in the 39 Rockit. The 388 is a very very nice boat and I think it has still not been sold. Call Hustler Power Boats and talk to Paul or Joe, they will know. Say your calling about Eric Smith's 388, there number is 631-208-2933. Mine is 615-351-1433 if I can be of any help to you.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

I have a 02 slingshot 540s with whipples, 1050 dominators, pump gas 4lbs. Boost, b max drives herrings 30,s runs an honest 105 mph. Custom paint. Willing to sell it, don't use it much anymore. Great boat,fast, good-looking and you don't see too many of them. I do have to say it Chine walks from 95 to 98 but not too bad.I have been in a lot of boats, these are well built boats with clean rigging,no short cuts. For the price, I think it's a good choice. Good luck with your purchase
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HARTMANLANDSCAPE
I have a 02 slingshot 540s with whipples, 1050 dominators, pump gas 4lbs. Boost, b max drives herrings 30,s runs an honest 105 mph. Custom paint. Willing to sell it, don't use it much anymore. Great boat,fast, good-looking and you don't see too many of them. I do have to say it Chine walks from 95 to 98 but not too bad.I have been in a lot of boats, these are well built boats with clean rigging,no short cuts. For the price, I think it's a good choice. Good luck with your purchase
Sounds sweet! Post some pics
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

runfever
We have a poker run edition with stock 500efi's that tested at the factory 91 mph. However on Erie or Cumberland with fuel and gear I have only saw 88, which is still very respectible for a 12 year old boat with stock power. Ride wise the boat is very good, not as good on Erie as the Top Gun but still a decent ride. This is our second Hustler and I can't say enough about the quality and C.S. that Joe and Hustler extends to all their customers. I do think Cigarette has a top notch boat but believe quality wise the Hustler is a step up from Fountain compared to the 3 we owned. My wife and I aren't boat experts but this is our favorite boat so far compared to our previous boats ( 19' Baja, 26' Thoroughbred, 26' Hustler, 29',32' & 35' Fountain, 336 Formula and a 38' Sonic). Sorry for the long post but I know it's a big investment and I hope this input helps. Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.