Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Hustler
Upgrades doing to your Hustler????? >

Upgrades doing to your Hustler?????

Notices

Upgrades doing to your Hustler?????

Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys great thread!!!! Im very interested in all the imput you have. Currently running a Slingshot w/500efis
but am taking the trip to the Miami show to shop for some new power and drives. Was thinking about 675-750 per side and figuring I would see 105-108mph. Any suggestions on motors or drives? Thanks, Glenn
Old 02-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

Glenn,
See post #2. I'm always worried about my drives. I had a failure with one last summer. I'm not sure exactly if it was the drive or the driver... I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade drives or try my luck. Talk to the folks in Miami and let me know what they have to say please. I can't make it this year. The wife is expecting and probably shouldn't miss it...

Dean
Old 02-04-2004, 01:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

thanks Dean, i will give you a call
Old 02-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Nice chatting with you guys. There aren't many Hustlers here in KY...

Dean
Old 02-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

388HUSTLER, We were in the teens with the standard length B-max drives with the new power. After a couple trips out we started to pit the lower unit gears (friends at Phaff's said it was because of the torque), so that's when we went for the change...we didn't want to play the drive game. The #6 drives were mounted as high as we could..the nose is 1 1/2" above the bottom. We tried 4 different sets of props before we ordered our own...just picked them up last Thursday...Going to Havasu this weekend, hopefully the lake will be up...otherwise we'll have to bring it home and play in the little pond over here on the left coast...
Not too many Hustlers out here either.
Tom
Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

388hustler: As for the speed of your boat man I don't know what it could handle i would call Chip Fendt at Hustler and ask him. Did see a 388 outfited with trips forsale that had to run good. My boats a pig tips the scales now at 12,500. were shooting for the 130+ mark hopefully we can reach it!!

GLENNS: I have a sweet pair of 702" motors here that we are gonna dyno that will be for sale after the dyno session. can get ya a price if you would like? running pump gas. Can also get some customs together. Will also have my cobra 650's after getting fresh forsale as well, just have to get the cold to leave for a day to take out. these will be well below sticker of any of the power packages that you will see out there and fresh. will get a price also if you would like.

Shanntom: Me so jelous you going to play. make a run for me.

Also not that many Hustlers here either
Old 02-05-2004, 02:01 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SLOWRIDE-388
Has anybody tried the imco/sportmaster lowers on a 388. If so, was there any increase in speed with a -1 or -2 lower? Got 572s pushing 750 hp, looking to get the best speed out of the boat. Going to give it a test run once the weather gets better in the modest.

There is a guy in Alabama that has a 98-99 388 with 750hp motors with the Imco shorties Its been on here for sale a couple times. He said they would blow out easily. So it sounds like it's to high. When I bought mine Hustler said the drive height was at max. and also the Extortion boxes do not help.But with the new design props 5 blade this might not be a prob. With the drive up any higher might give a handling prob in the turns.With a step bottom they already want to skip around the turns

But they new 388's with the ITS is the same as a short extension box .

I would thing the # 6 drives would be the same on the extension ???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

I have 1" Imco shorties on mine and don't have any problems blowing out. It actually hooks up better than most boats my size.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Registered

Tom I saw the article on your boat in family/performance awesome machine! I had my search narrowed down to a couple builders for new motors and Pfaff is one of the three. Would love to have his motors, just not sure I can afford him yet!

Hard On - sounds like your going to need new couzies,
you know the kind with suction cups on the bottom
Dont know if my checkbook is big enough for the 702 motors but am open to any ideas. Who builds your motors for you? talk to ya later Glenn
Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenns: My power is built here local, and can drop ship to your door for ya. He's been building custom marine pkgs for a while and never really advertised them so we bought in and decided to make a run with the power pkgs and custom transmissions along with built outdrives. If you like can get all the specs and dyno results for ya on any combo were building now.

Now for the couzies thats another situation

Quick Reply: Upgrades doing to your Hustler?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.