Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Ilmor High Performance Marine
Ilmor VS Mercury Head to Head Comparison! >

Ilmor VS Mercury Head to Head Comparison!

Notices

Ilmor VS Mercury Head to Head Comparison!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I am a huge fan of the V10 Ilmor engines! Obviously my love for the Dodge Viper helps.

For some reason I had this thought in my head that in identical boats, Ilmor 725 would out perform a Merc 700 for almost the same price. Especially since it weighs less and revs higher. I am now wondering if this is FACT or was my passion for this engine clouding the truth?

This is in no way a negative towards either engine or manufacture. They both have their place, and without options performance boating would be boring.

I would love to see a list of boats worth comparing and their performance numbers! Thanks!
Have NT & the owner of hull #1 477 send that up 2 Char 4 a run out in Lake MI!!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I know it's 600SCi vs the Ilmore 625 but this is a classic showdown and the results would be pretty similar.
Great read too!

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/...e--Boating.pdf
One thing I always hear about the V10's is fuel savings. Not once in that test did the V10 break 1.0 mpg stat. The 600sci was getting 1.6 mph at 3000 rpm.....weird
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I know my judgment about the Viper V-10 is clouded as well (have one), but in a boat...dear god...it sounds completely evil. I vastly prefer the sound.