is it mandatory to have ins. >

is it mandatory to have ins.

Notices

is it mandatory to have ins.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it mandatory to have ins.

this may sound like a dumb question but i have to ask. is it mandatory to have insurance on a boat to use it. i have been stopped 20 or 30 times and never once has the cop asked me for paperwork on insurance. i know it would be a stupid thing to do and drive it and not have it but is it mandatory? thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

If that bad azz pantera of yours sinks can you foot the 8-10K cleanup bill.

Its my understanding that you do not HAVE to have insurance unless the boat is financed.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It varies from state to state, but most states do not require insurance. I see you are from Florida, we do not need to carry insurance on our boats. You're right, it would be stupid not to, but it is not required.

In FL, there are special considerations. If you run aground in a protected area by accident and you ruin some sea grass, I've heard of cases where the boater is responsible for replanting it at a cost of nearly $1,000 per square yard. I remember reading one such story in my Boat-U.S. magazine where an unsuspecting boater was charged for almost a million dollars by the state for his grounding.

Now, if something happens where you release fuel/oil into the water by sinking, forget it. It'll cost hundreds of thousands to clean up. I'd hate to pay that out-of-pocket.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

thanks they would have a pretty hard time getting the money off of me to clean up or replant sea grass. lol also how would they know if it was financed? i think u mean the finance companys require it.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ya, I'm sure that's what TexomaPowerboater meant. Your lender would require it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joepaws
they would have a pretty hard time getting the money off of me to clean up or replant sea grass. .
Unless you have absolutely nothing, they'd probably be fairly successful. States don't operate on the same playing field as individuals do. They've got the game rigged in their favor.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks they would have a pretty hard time getting the money off of me to clean up or replant sea grass. lol also how would they know if it was financed? i think u mean the finance companys require it.

They can take the boat, there was a story in BoatUS, where some guy killed the grass, then knew he was in trouble, so he sold the boat, the feds went and took it from the new owner
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Over F'ing Seagrass.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may sound like a dumb question but i have to ask. is it mandatory to have insurance on a boat to use it. i have been stopped 20 or 30 times and never once has the cop asked me for paperwork on insurance. i know it would be a stupid thing to do and drive it and not have it but is it mandatory? thanks
what are you doing to get pulled over 20 or 30 times??
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
what are you doing to get pulled over 20 or 30 times??
just routine checks i guess. i was told when i 1st got my boat to make sure i always have everything i need cause i will get stopped alot. does anyone else have that problem.

Quick Reply: is it mandatory to have ins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.