Notices

Insurance Help please

Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Help please

I am restoring a 76 28' cigarette and the boat will be going in the water as soon as it starts getting warmer out. I need some advice on insurance.

I really dont care about insurance for damage to the boat - broken drive, bent prop, lost sunglasses blah blah blah.

I am somewhat intested in total loss, fire, thefth etc.

I am really interested in getting liability insurance to be covered for anything major.

I have been boating my whole life, have a 100t uscg masters license, live on the water and dont see myself as a major risk but I am concerned that the age and type of boat are going to cause me some issues with insurance. I have ACE for my 22' Mako and they wont even entertaine the cigarette.

I know some of you gentelmen are very knowlegable in this area.

I woud appreciate any sugestions you may have for insurance companies and type of insurance.

Thanks

Chris

Toms River NJ
Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris,

Markel will probably insure your boat but you will need a recent marine survey. I can get you a quote, just call or complete an app on our site.

Liability only will be less expensive than Comprehensive coverage. If you are not worried about props etc and are mainly concerned with theft, go with the max deductible (this will help keep your rate down).

If you boat doesn't have the following, consider adding them because you can get a credit & lower your rate: Marine Compass, Depth Finder, VHF Radio (even a handheld), Outdrive Locks, Propeller Hub Locks, Trailer Lock, Auto Fire Extinguisher.

Have a nice day,