Notices

New Diesel Engine

Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Diesel Engine

I work for a company named Buck Marine Diesel. We have developed a new type of marine diesel engine. You can read more about it on this forum at: New Marine Diesel

There is also more information available on our website at: Buck Marine Diesel

We are currently looking for investors to help us take our project into full-scale production. If you are interested please contact either Mike Buck ([email protected]) or Tim Brownell ([email protected]) or through the contact numbers listed on our website.

Thank you.

Last edited by timbillyosu; 07-10-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious......

Looks awesome and I love all the gear driven stuff.

However- it looks (looks can be deceiving) a lot longer than a v8 - not ilmor 2 inches longer but at least half a foot longer.

Even if it runs better than it looks - and it looks killer-

If this is the case wouldnt that "size" this product out of the repower market completely and basically give the repower market to the new banks dura max derivative?

Curious??

Uncle Dave
Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Looks awesome and I love all the gear driven stuff.

However- it looks (looks can be deceiving) a lot longer than a v8 - not ilmor 2 inches longer but at least half a foot longer.

Even if it runs better than it looks - and it looks killer-

If this is the case wouldnt that "size" this product out of the repower market completely and basically give the repower market to the new banks dura max derivative?

Curious??

Uncle Dave
I'm not sure what the dimensions are on the Banks Duramax. I can tell you that we are roughly the same length as any other inline 6-cylinder in the market now. However, we are 10" narrower and 10" shorter than the others.

The advantage that we have over the Banks engine though is that you still have to take the Banks engine out of the boat to replace a cylinder. There are more advantages to our engine, but this is one of the biggest.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by timbillyosu
I'm not sure what the dimensions are on the Banks Duramax. I can tell you that we are roughly the same length as any other inline 6-cylinder in the market now. However, we are 10" narrower and 10" shorter than the others.

The advantage that we have over the Banks engine though is that you still have to take the Banks engine out of the boat to replace a cylinder. There are more advantages to our engine, but this is one of the biggest.

The banks has roughly the same dimensions as a small block chevy.

When you say any other inline 6 -
I take that to mean any inline 6 diesel - yes/No?

Not sure there is going to be a lot of single cylinder replacing in a boat. By the time one is changing cylinders I would guess that they would likely just pull the whole engine and rebuild it.

Id say the gear driven accessories are a bigger deal to us boaters than single replaceable cylinder linings.

Cant say for sure, but its just a guess.

UD
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

The banks has roughly the same dimensions as a small block chevy.

When you say any other inline 6 -
I take that to mean any inline 6 diesel - yes/No?

Not sure there is going to be a lot of single cylinder replacing in a boat. By the time one is changing cylinders I would guess that they would likely just pull the whole engine and rebuild it.

Id say the gear driven accessories are a bigger deal to us boaters than single replaceable cylinder linings.

Cant say for sure, but its just a guess.

UD
I mean other in-line 6 cylinder diesels that produce about 650 hp, which is what we hope to output.

Historically, boat engines experience failures much sooner than OTR engines. There are a lot of cases where failures occur within the first 500 hours. This is mainly due to poor maintenance and the marine environment. Stopped up strainers and failed raw water impellers cause overheating that destroys cylinders. Poor fuel quality damages injectors and causes cylinder damage. 95% of marine failures occur in the cylinder and cylinder head of the engine. Therefore, quick and easy replacement of cylinders and heads is a tremendous plus. No need for cranes or hoists to remove an engine. There is also no need to cut parts of your boat out to perform this maintenance. No machining is ever required on any parts unless you were to damage the crankshaft, which is rare.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by timbillyosu
I mean other in-line 6 cylinder diesels that produce about 650 hp, which is what we hope to output.

Historically, boat engines experience failures much sooner than OTR engines. There are a lot of cases where failures occur within the first 500 hours. This is mainly due to poor maintenance and the marine environment. Stopped up strainers and failed raw water impellers cause overheating that destroys cylinders. Poor fuel quality damages injectors and causes cylinder damage. 95% of marine failures occur in the cylinder and cylinder head of the engine. Therefore, quick and easy replacement of cylinders and heads is a tremendous plus. No need for cranes or hoists to remove an engine. There is also no need to cut parts of your boat out to perform this maintenance. No machining is ever required on any parts unless you were to damage the crankshaft, which is rare.
650 HP with probably a zillion ft/lb at 1500rpm.

The ability to rebuild down to the crank while the engine in the boat is an interesting benefit. I guess ultimately we'll see how relatively important that is.

A very high percentage of performance powerboats have their engine bays fixed/molded to the size of a big block chevy to where fitting a 2" longer Ilmor is a stretch- another 4 inches on top of that - not gonna fly.

Sounds like this is more of a replacement engine for a sportfisher/ large cruiser type than a performance boat- but it is cool.

Lets say I could fit it in- how much is it going to set me back?

UD
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Lets say I could fit it in- how much is it going to set me back?

UD
About the same as you would pay for any other one in the market today. We're planning on having a competitive price with other engines of this size.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Weight? Weight is a huge factor in diesels.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

Cant seem to get a price out of Banks either.

The buck engines seems to be more advanced, but the "physics package" appears to be an issue fro cruisers under say about 40 feet.
This limits Bucks potential target market substantially.

Not trying to step on anyones thread- but I think the banks engine (if it ever ships) if priced right will be the new diesel unit to beat for small performance powerboats simply due to package sizing.

The buck would be better choice in re-powering a large twin engine cruiser.

As a guy that dared to get different with an ilmor I support new ideas and manufactuerers with my wallet.

I hope you guys do really well.

UD
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Weight? Weight is a huge factor in diesels.
Our 6-cylinder, ready to run, weighs about 1500 lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.