Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
WTF??

RBGPF 951.59+900.84 +1,775.06%
Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc

That's the % I like.
How are you coming up with that %? Look at their chart - http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=R...urce=undefined

by clicking the link. Then hit the "Max" button underneath and you'll see that it really hasn't performed (unless you bought at the absolute low in late 08 early 09). However, if that was the case, you could have put your money pretty much anywhere (not anywhere, but lots of places) and it would have went up over that time frame.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gettin wet
How are you coming up with that %? Look at their chart - http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=R...urce=undefined

by clicking the link. Then hit the "Max" button underneath and you'll see that it really hasn't performed (unless you bought at the absolute low in late 08 early 09). However, if that was the case, you could have put your money pretty much anywhere (not anywhere, but lots of places) and it would have went up over that time frame.
I just copied and pasted from this morning. Didn't make much sense, could be just a glitch on the MSN webpage, but it was interesting to see that percentage. Even if it was a fluke.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, if you are looking to buy into something right now, the stock market is not the place. We are near a peak again, and the fundamentals just dont support it. All it would take for a downward correction is something to happen, like the current surge in oil prices. I have learned the hard way about getting talked into buying into a bull market. The best advice I have heard is Buffet's "walk when everyone is running and run when everyone is walking". The other big thing I can advise is to educate yourself as to the workings of the market and research any stock or product yourself before you buy. A good broker you trust can be a great help but always remember they get their % on the sale and dont take a personal loss along with yours. Again, educate yourself, and when you "get it" then you can do some on your own and save a ton of money if you use on online broker. I am no expert by any means but have learned some of these lessons the hard way so like to pass them along. And always remember to trust your own feelings, if you aren't comfortable get out, no matter what someone tells you. Oh, and dont look at "could have beens" a gain is a gain no matter what the % If you come up with something good let me know, I have been waiting for something to get back into for a while.

Last edited by hotjava66; 02-25-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

the first thing you did to do is determine how much risk you can tolerate. you should learn how to manage your investments. you will be the best guardian of your money. unless you have a mil in your account it will be difficult to find someone with experiance to run your money. start slow dont dump all your money in the first idea you come across. i first started investing in stock thru company drips. i know you said your not interested in dividends but i would reconsider that there are some stocks that are fairly safe that pay 4-6% yearly interest.
invest with both eyes open
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good points Dave and 66, but I really don't feel like, want to or have the know how to play the market. I rather invest some mutual funds, or long term growth, where I don't have to watch it. Some of my 401K's and old investements I haven't even openned the statements for a decade. I want to dump in a few hundred K's in different areas and leave it alone for a nother decade, but I need it to grow.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

the cheapest broker for mutual funds is vanguard they have the lowest fees. there is a website called bank rate they will show you the highest rates for cds i think you can find a 5 yr cd in the 2.75% range. if you decide a mutual fund is where you want to be vanguard has a fund that mimics the sp 500
very easy to follow.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

but i'm looking for some "not so typical" avenues that are not necessarily common knowledge but gets me better returns. That's about in the nutshell.
Sounds like many of the "Madoff" investors looking for that secret investment with astronomical returns.......did you see where that landed them in the long run?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Good points Dave and 66, but I really don't feel like, want to or have the know how to play the market. I rather invest some mutual funds, or long term growth, where I don't have to watch it. Some of my 401K's and old investements I haven't even openned the statements for a decade. I want to dump in a few hundred K's in different areas and leave it alone for a nother decade, but I need it to grow.
That is a crazy strategy...........dump a few 100K's, leave it alone and "not open the statements for a decade."

You at the least are going to have tax consequences that you will have to address annually (provided the investments are not in a qualified plan).
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Paradox,
"no offense but it sounds like you have no idea what is best for you. You would be doing yourself a big favor to find an advisor you can trust and can help steer you in the right direction"

You shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm sure somebody has already mentioned it but you really need to diversify your holdings. I would look for strong companies that pay a nice dividend. A few examples would be Chevron, GE, CAT, etc. etc. You never put all your eggs in pne basket. Once you sit with a finacial advisor you will access your RISK tolerance. Depending on how much fruit you have to throw at the project you can discuss how much gets allocated to different areas. It's not always about %%%%. You may look at at taxable earnings, before tax contributions, etc. etc. One segment of a well diversified portfolio will compliment another. So for example if you decided to buy GOV'T INSURED tax free muni bonds at $25-$50K face below par or even at par paying 4-5% return, you would then set up a interest earning savings/slush account for the interest earned on the bonds. You get a couple mil. worth of tax free muni bonds and you'll be knocking down 100k+ in tax free earnings per year. You only have to pay income tax on the interest earned from the slush account. It's Worth the money to sit with a advisor...maybe somebody from Morgan Stanly or JP Morgan. Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Peter, take half out and go buy some real estate.If I had the liquidity I would be king right now. Ask anyone who's been in the game they are making all there money right now while the suffering continues for the rest.I just brushed myself off and have just broke ground on a 1.3 million spec home.Am I nervous hell yeah but im very optomistic this house will be sold quickly.My buddy bought a 2 bedroom condo in ft myers with a boat slip on the callosahatchee for 100k 6 yrs ago he paid 300k.

good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.