Notices

few finance questions

Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you sure getting a boat loan while still in college is smart, plus the money for upkeep, gas etc. Anyways im sure a boat like that cant be more than about 20, and if it was I wouldnt pay more than 20 for a boat like that. Either way if you put 50% down that leaves you with like 10k or less. Try a personal loan or even cash advance on a credit card. Credit cards are a bad idea but if your smart you can get 0% for a year and sometimes a lot of them only bump up to 7% or so. Even so if you pay on that credit card like a regular loan, say if you borrowed 10 and after a year had 7-8 left to even have 15% on 7 grand is not that bad.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitmitch910
yea i guess id have to check into it more, do banks use NADA value for the boat when determining the amount of loan value?
Mine is through US Bank and yes, they would finance 90% of low NADA.. No trailer, no options.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
you sure getting a boat loan while still in college is smart, plus the money for upkeep, gas etc. Anyways im sure a boat like that cant be more than about 20, and if it was I wouldnt pay more than 20 for a boat like that. Either way if you put 50% down that leaves you with like 10k or less. Try a personal loan or even cash advance on a credit card. Credit cards are a bad idea but if your smart you can get 0% for a year and sometimes a lot of them only bump up to 7% or so. Even so if you pay on that credit card like a regular loan, say if you borrowed 10 and after a year had 7-8 left to even have 15% on 7 grand is not that bad.
I see what you mean about getting a loan while in school, still undecided for sure tho. Just looking into something better, but im just doing some homework, i have 4 classes to take and i have a small student loan, less then 8k
Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pitmitch910
I see what you mean about getting a loan while in school, still undecided for sure tho. Just looking into something better, but im just doing some homework, i have 4 classes to take and i have a small student loan, less then 8k
I dont want to persuade you out of it, but after being your age and Im 29 now. I would try to leave college with the least debt possible, you still dont know your job situattion etc. Problem with a boat is going to be everything else not necessarily the loan. If I were in college if I found some 5k boat thats about it.

Just be careful, I made pretty good decisions but I am really seeing now the choices made when you are in your young 20's really will affect you for the rest of your life.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I dont want to persuade you out of it, but after being your age and Im 29 now. I would try to leave college with the least debt possible, you still dont know your job situattion etc. Problem with a boat is going to be everything else not necessarily the loan. If I were in college if I found some 5k boat thats about it.

Just be careful, I made pretty good decisions but I am really seeing now the choices made when you are in your young 20's really will affect you for the rest of your life.
Nice post!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Mitch,

I'm in a similar situation as you, but I have a bit more student loan debt. I graduated this year and have a well-paying job. I made a plan to make a move on a 27' Carrera by next summer, but like others said here it really takes patience. Putting as much down as possible is probably the best route and trying to get a loan from your parents is not a bad idea. I would say if you are confident in your career, go for it. A couple of people I know bought a new car when they graduated, which to me is basically the same thing as this.

-AK
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ak89
Mitch,

I'm in a similar situation as you, but I have a bit more student loan debt. I graduated this year and have a well-paying job. I made a plan to make a move on a 27' Carrera by next summer, but like others said here it really takes patience. Putting as much down as possible is probably the best route and trying to get a loan from your parents is not a bad idea. I would say if you are confident in your career, go for it. A couple of people I know bought a new car when they graduated, which to me is basically the same thing as this.

-AK
Yeah good point if you have a job then go for it but if your still in school and dont have anything for sure on paper hold off. I bought a new truck when I graduated but I also was an Army officer and made 40-50k the first year along with 100% free health care and a lot of other perks which in the end was probably more like a 60-70k year job in the pvt sector, it also didnt hurt my wife was making another 30-35k her first year out as well. Although I would say a boat is probably a little more risk than a new car, as car is easier to sell or trade if needed. Also a car is practical tool, it gets you to work, grocery store etc, a boat can really do nothing practical.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ak89
Mitch,

-AK
ha thanks for the imput, ive been lately just finding cheap deals and been flipping stuff for some extra $$$, but i picked up a Cheap Regal open bow today, and went the Key bank to ask about a smal loan, i have the cash to buy it outright but i need to establish some credit so i went that route, they told me that they will finance any year boat, they just base it on NADA Value, but they will not finance anything less then 5000, so i got an unsecured loan for the small price of the boat to pay on for awhile, while i fix it up and sell it for more money, lately ive been thinking alot about getting a bigger boat but ive decided to keep mine at least til after next season. maybe look for a newer truck, ive come to the realization that i need to calm down about stuff lol, i have a pretty *****in boat for being 22 and its paid for, i just picked up this other one to flip really quick. the info/opinions from this thread were super helpful tho. thanks everyone