Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Financing / No Down Payment / 180 Mo Term (15 year) >

Financing / No Down Payment / 180 Mo Term (15 year)

Notices

Financing / No Down Payment / 180 Mo Term (15 year)

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I think long term loans work for a guy that plans on keeping something for awhile and has had 10+ years of salaried, guaranteed income. For a guy who owns his own company, sees ups and downs and is not guaranteed a salary every year it is risky.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. Def have that too.....
Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered

credit unions.......its where its at. 4.24 up to 15 years 0 down. right now
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I do long loan terms on most loans.. As some may think its nuts, it doesn't take me 15 years or even close to pay for it. I do it to have the ability to pay a minimum on a month that I may be going on vacation (for example) and want a few more dollars.. Again, some may think its nuts, but I do it for flexibility.
to each his own. I know people take that approach and if you have a plan and are disciplined it does give you the flexibility. Just some quick beer math if your boat is 50k you almost pay 80 grand for that boat if you let the loan mature.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did 10 year no money down on my boat 3 years ago (USAA). The loan will not go to maturity as I pay close to double $175-200 every month and the min payment is only $110, but if for some reason I had to make a min payment its only $110. I spend about $300 per month on alcohol and cigs so the boat payment is chump change.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
I did 10 year no money down on my boat 3 years ago (USAA). The loan will not go to maturity as I pay close to double $175-200 every month and the min payment is only $110, but if for some reason I had to make a min payment its only $110. I spend about $300 per month on alcohol and cigs so the boat payment is chump change.
i did 10 on my current travel trailer because I couldnt pass up on the deal but didnt have all the cash at the time. But after the first two years I have been doubling my payments. I still wouldnt do more than 10. But if you can have a lower payment during the summer to help pay for gas it makes sense then the winter pay more. Overall I will probably will not do it again as I think about it its really a bad idea, you also pay a higher interest rate with a longer loan.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TDSTYG
credit unions.......its where its at. 4.24 up to 15 years 0 down. right now
michigan is where its at for boat loans isnt it!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I do long loan terms on most loans.. As some may think its nuts, it doesn't take me 15 years or even close to pay for it. I do it to have the ability to pay a minimum on a month that I may be going on vacation (for example) and want a few more dollars.. Again, some may think its nuts, but I do it for flexibility.
Makes sense to me. Remember...a boat is entertainment...not a commodity. In the end the best we can all hope for is to minimize the down side. When I bought new boats I always had a lot of luck buying factory demo boats at the end of the season. I got immediate equity by showing money down on paper with an inflated purchase price that showed my 20%~30% overall savings as a "paper" down payment. The banks are ok with it as long as they can hang their hat on equity/collateralization some where in the deal and as long as you make the payments you're golden.

What killed us all over the past 5 years was all of the layoffs that left the banks holding the bag for loans gone bad due to loss of jobs and defaults as well as the value of everything going into free fall. I think we will see some continued improvement as long as we don't have something stupid happen with a terrorist attack or an oil embargo. I am optimistic.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Registered

Thats one thing people do fail to realize, is entertainment is entertainment, whether you spend x dollars on a boat or going to the movies. But with that said, I have always tried to keep my enterainment at a reasonable price. Also a boat is an asset, and I wont have it forever, and when I get rid of it I want to get as much as possible for that asset.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

I second the USAA comment. I am currently locked in at 4.29 with choice of 1 to 15 yrs. I do alot of buisness with them, house loan and insurance for example. Always had good experience.