Tractor vs car accident >

Tractor vs car accident

Notices

Tractor vs car accident

Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tractor vs car accident

Ok It seems the tractor driver pulled out in front of the car.
http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/2...ctor-collision
Since tractors don't have tags and normally insurance how should one proceed on something like this?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Farmer might have insurance on the equipment/tractor.. Maybe a homeowners/property claim on his part? Or personally insured?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple things noticed in pic:
Appears tractor's left turn blinkers are lit, to indicate a turn. If so it is then the car's responsibility to recognize that and yield.
That section of road has divided center line so passing is permitted, but still a following vehicle must yield to any vehicle making a left hand turn.
Have experience with this type of incident and typically the auto driver gets ticketed for improper passing and/or failure to yield, as long as the tractors' flashers/signals were working. This makes the auto owner very angry when they thought they needed a police report to document for insurance purposes, and end up getting a ticket showing their fault in causing the accident.

People need to exercise much more caution around large farm equipment on the highway. We have installed rear-view cameras on large equipment to aid in keeping ourselves and our neighbors safe on the road.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemidoc
Ok It seems the tractor driver pulled out in front of the car.
http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/2...ctor-collision
Since tractors don't have tags and normally insurance how should one proceed on something like this?
That looked like a newer machine, i would guess the farmer has some sort of insurance on it that carried liability. And I would guess a farmer in general if he were smart would carry something in insurance wether it be a big home owners etc. I would think you file a claim with your insurance and they will take appropriate action against the farmer if he was determined to be a fault. At a minumum you can sue anybody, doesnt mean you win or have a case.

Farmers around here are generally pretty good, they have bright lights, stay to the side of the road and often times have a tail vehicle. But about 25% of them seem to have no respect for traffic, and act as they own the road. Whether it be dark out with no lights on trailer and a flash light strapped to the front of the tractor, pulling out in front of cars, weaving all around the road, rush hour traffic and wont pull over every few mins to let a line of car go by etc.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Couple things noticed in pic:
Appears tractor's left turn blinkers are lit, to indicate a turn. If so it is then the car's responsibility to recognize that and yield.
That section of road has divided center line so passing is permitted, but still a following vehicle must yield to any vehicle making a left hand turn.
Have experience with this type of incident and typically the auto driver gets ticketed for improper passing and/or failure to yield, as long as the tractors' flashers/signals were working. This makes the auto owner very angry when they thought they needed a police report to document for insurance purposes, and end up getting a ticket showing their fault in causing the accident.

People need to exercise much more caution around large farm equipment on the highway. We have installed rear-view cameras on large equipment to aid in keeping ourselves and our neighbors safe on the road.
Always way more to the story than the media reports, and what we can all speculate. My thoughts are with you and your daughter, I would hate to be so far away in a situation like this.

I have the same questions as Kelly, though. It appears the car was passing on a 2 lane road without regard to the tractor operator. The vehicle being overtaken has the right of way, and it appears the closing speed was significant. No need to fly around a tractor at 60 MPH. Happens all the time around here, and I'm usually the guy on the tractor. People come screaming around a blind curve and don't even lift as they blow past.

It takes all of 20 seconds out of your day to slow down behind the tractor and pass at a safe speed.

As for insurance, the machine does look new, and the farmer should have a policy to cover these sorts of accidents either on the tractor itself, or under his farm policy.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Talked with my daughter and she said the tractor driver pulled out in front of them. Maybe the tractor driver didn't see them or figured he could pull out right quick then make the left turn right after.
Daughter was bruised a bit and had to go to the hospital but nothing too bad.
I was more worried that the doctor prescribed Vicadin for her pain.
I was just kinda curious how such a claim would work since tractors don't have tags and aren't required to have insurance.
Here in Ga a lot of my neighbors are farmers and regularly drive their tractors and hay wagons on the road and they don't have lights or anything on them.
ETA My daughter now has an attorney representing her so they can shake it out.
I'm just glad that no one was seriously hurt.

Last edited by Hemidoc; 08-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the laws in your state regarding the right off way with farm vehicles, the driver of the car could still be at fault. If the driver of the tractor is cited, then their general liability ins. should cover any damages. I've spent my entire life either living on a farm or in rural Ohio farm country. I've seen my fair share of vehicle/farm equipment related accidents and 95% of the time its the vehicle driver's fault, people in general are in just too damned much of a hurry these days. Not saying that it was in your case and I'm glad to hear that no one was seriously injured.