1/2 Tank.....Empty!? >

1/2 Tank.....Empty!?

Notices

1/2 Tank.....Empty!?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 Tank.....Empty!?

This has happened to me TWICE in three months. Fuel tank read a 1/2 tank and 15 minutes later (easy cruising) I'm dead in the woods. Im a little worried that its going to happy a lot more with the new power. What have you other guys done to fix this? I've heard some kryptonites have fiberglass tanks that mold with the steps and others don't....... I was thinking about this gadget but im worried it'll clog the fuel line. Any suggestions?

http://www.boatdepot.com/productdeta...28843&ref=base
Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of sender do you have? Put one of these in and you'll be good to go http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/senders.htm
Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

The tanks are tapered, so from 1/2 to full is a lot more fuel. I have been there. I set my sender by the depth in inches. It got great fuel economy until I got to 1/4 tank then I could really see the gauge move, I got about 5 miles the last 1/4 tank.
So now the tank was empty. I put 10 gal of fuel in and set the sender to empty. Now its much better still goes down faster the last 1/4 tank but at empty I have 10 gal left. definitely slowed the gauge down the last 1/4 though. I think I ended up trimming the float wire and sliding the float up 4 or 5 inches off the bottom. So it still reads full but has the reserve of 10 gal at empty. I have a 89 gal tank.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

my tank is 11"deep at the sender, so you would think 5.5 " is 1/2 tank wrong..... it follows the hull contour, the 4.5" deep pad holds about 5 gallons is all. See how I messed up when I set 5.5" as 1/2 tank, like I said the gauge moved really fast the last 1/4 tank which in inches is only about 10 gallons. like I said suck the fuel out thru the pickup install 10 gallons, dip the sender in and keep trimming until its right on empty. That will solve the issue.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Thanks Doc, I may try that. I had this fuel flow gauge component when I had my previous boat with a 300xs. It is a VERY useful tool to have and takes a lot of the guess and check stress away when you're in question. Has anyone ever used this with high horsepower?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had looked at the floscans, but didnt see any applications that handled that much consumption. the most I saw was 30gph. I would have to imagine that at wide open I am using more like 60-70gph, and probably 25-30 at cruise.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

My Kryptonite used to have the same problem, kind of like the old GM cars. It stayed on full for 1/2 the tank and when it started to move, I knew I was around 1/2 and at a !/2 it was time to refill. Also, Make sure you guys check the sender/pickup gasket. Mine deteriorated in 2007, 4 years old and created quite a mess and a scary few minutes! All was good and fixed cheap, thank God!