Where do you trim to? >

Where do you trim to?

Notices

Where do you trim to?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you trim to?

Though I know the answers will differ, Im going through some prop testing. My mechanic believes the boat needs to be trimmed to 6-7 to achieve the rpms needed. I've always been told the kryptonites need to be run flat. When I ran a double labbed 32 by merc.... we trimmed to 6-7. When I ran a labbed BBlades 30, at 4 it turned 5200. Thinking of dropping down to a 26p B1, but I just thought I'd ask. What's the appropriate trim level? I have an unusually high X dimension to boot.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered

My prop is 1" below the pad. Trim numbers are irreverent, depending on how the cable actuator is set up, and cable slack.
I trim to 4 which puts the prop shaft exactly parallel to the bottom, any more and I get loose any less it looses speed. Yes the krypto's like to run flat and depend on the steps to "air out" The other krypto I set up is 3" below the bottom and still runs best with the prop shaft parallel. But the trim number is 5. so take a straight edge and find at what number the prop shaft is parallel and go from there to really know where you are.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

I have a -2 lower unit. At 3 the prop is parallel on mine. I cant trim past 5 .
Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Go by feel, not by indicator. Period.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered

for newer boaters knowing where parallel is is important. untill they get a feel for trim and boat. a baseline trim is important. but yes as i said the trim number is irrelevant.... play around some at mid speeds andwork it up untill you know what the boat likes by feel
Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered

Only reason I'm asking is because I've been told again and again that kryptonites run better flat.....yet every time I run the boat, I need to trim it up to 5-6 to loosen up the prop enough to get the rpms I need. I'd rather drop pitch to run flatter than up the pitch and trim it to the moon. Does that make sense?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

With mine, it used to like just slightly trimmed up from neutral. In dead flat water you could trim it up a little more to squeak a couple ticks out of the top end. In a chop or oncoming waves, I would leave the trim of the drive one notch above even and actually drop the tabs one notch below even. It scrubbed a couple miles off the speed but the boat actually ran faster because it stayed flat and sliced through instead of launching.
My favorite run in my Kryptonite was during the Atlantic City Poker Run in 2006. We had a good 3-4' mixed chop in Barnegat Bay and I set the boat right and was passing all the 38' 525 boats! I pissed one guy off so bad, he sold his 38' Donzi ZX and bought a 39' Cig w/ 700's!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Only reason I'm asking is because I've been told again and again that kryptonites run better flat.....yet every time I run the boat, I need to trim it up to 5-6 to loosen up the prop enough to get the rpms I need. I'd rather drop pitch to run flatter than up the pitch and trim it to the moon. Does that make sense?
Sounds like you need a prop with more bowlift so you can tuck it in a hair and still have it looser. Call Brett at BBlades
Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Jay what is your X? or how low does your prop shaft sit below the pad?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
you want to trim for ride quality and speed but not RPMS, you prop for RPMS. If you are trimming up to get more rpms you are just adding slip not speed. If as you say "I have an unusually high X dimension to boot". Then positive trim will have less effect on bow lift and just slip as you trim much past neutral. my boat runs best just slightly positive (up) from neutral all tested by GPS. What are your rpms and speeds on the props you tested? what rpms does the motor make max HP (if you know)? i agree with johnny call Brettt@BBlades have your credit card ready and just do and order whatever he says. I would guess if slip is ok, a bravo 1 would work best with a hight x giving some bow lift, if slip is bad a 5 blade will be necessary. Let us know what you come up with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.