Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
The Good, the Bad, and the F*CKING ugly!! >

The Good, the Bad, and the F*CKING ugly!!

Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the F*CKING ugly!!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Good, the Bad, and the F*CKING ugly!!

Ok, today started off great, went and swapped out the batteries, then went by my local marine mechanic's shop and showed him my 29' Nuera. He couldn't believe what great condition it was in. He then caught a small chip on the bottom of one of the steps and told me to be careful when loading the boat on the trailer due to the steps. He stated that I would want the trailer in deeper than usual with my PQ.**Keep this in mind for later**.

Today was windy, 25-30 mph maintained winds on the lake all day, I was hesitant to the put the boat in the water solely because of loading it in wind. But of course I said screw it, and launched. Waves were 2-3' with an occasional 3.5-4' in he main body of the lake. The boat is SO different than my PQ. Much lower to the water, my PQ was "very" bow sensitive, drop the drive a lil bit and the bow dips dramatically, same with the tabs. With the Nuera I found it "insensitive", it wouldn't move much no matter what I did, or at least that was my perception. I played with the tabs and the trim, it was hard to listen the response of the engine with the trim due to the wind today. So I was going by the RPM meter a lot.

The tabs seem slow, and I guess because I'm not as high out of the water anymore, the effects seemed less prominent. I get comfortable and head out to the main body of the lake, it handled flawlessly, and again, completely different than my PQ. I launched a few time and always dead on level. The bow didn't move at all, it just sliced through everything. Not once did I get "jarred" from a hard landing.

Throttle was very sensitive, too easy to move, is there some kind of brake or tension screw to make it harder to push? I didn't really get on it too much, GPS was 63 and that was going with the rollers.

The good:

The bad: I got wet, especially when coming to a quick stop, not sure if it's due to being closer to the water or the steps catching when slowing down, but I got sprayed in a major way on about 5 occasions. The seat, it's pretty low when you sit in it and the bolster doesn't drop all the way, it hits the floor for stand up. I really never got comfortable, but I just need to get the 3" steering extension instead of the 9" that's on there now.

THE UGLY:

The trailer is a brand new Zieman, and due to my inexperience I didn't notice it had a VERY small roller, so small that the roller bolt sticks out past the roller about 1.25" on the starboard side. Well after doing my runs I called my wife to come get me, we spoke about putting the trailer in deeper than before, so she did. I was worried about the wind but my approach was pretty good, and here comes the ugly. The bow catches the roller and slides past it on the right hand side, the side where the bolt is sticking out. Yup!

So tomorrow I will be putting a normal size roller on and patching that up until I can find someone to repair it with the gel matching. The boat WAS really in mint condition, and now I put my dumb a$$ mark on it the first time out.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

an that is sad to see sorry But thanks for posting something to keep in mind
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Registered

I keep kicking myself for not noticing the damn bolt sticking out, I would have replaced the damn roller before I ever took it out! An expensive overlook!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bert4332
I keep kicking myself for not noticing the damn bolt sticking out, I would have replaced the damn roller before I ever took it out! An expensive overlook!!!!
Thing is its all in the white area of the gel- This is why I insisted on zero color on the bottom side- Ive beached every boat Ive ever owned and will continue to do so and I've always got scratches on the bottom- not like what you are showing thats a gouge, but even though you are probably kicking yourself it'll be a an easy fix.

no problem a quick fix and you wont even know it happened.

pain in the a-$$ but better than gouging through the color.

Im a bit surprised by your wet comment- I've gone out in 3-6's in the ocean and only been lightly sprayed a few times, but I typically dont decellerate hard but rather let it slow down on its own.

I notice your PQ had a tall glass windhsield- are you getting wet from the front?

You will find the Nuera bottom neither likes nor needs a lot of positive trim .

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 04-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Is positive trim up or down?

I got wet from the front starboard side of the boat, about midway between the bow and the steering wheel, that's where the water spray up from while I was driving.

Last edited by bert4332; 04-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bert4332
Is positive trim up or down?

I got wet from the front starboard side of the boat, about midway between the bow and the steering wheel, that's where the water spray up from while I was driving.
Positive meaning up - past center.

You got sprayed from here when you chopped the throttle?

There should be a tension control on the back side of the throttle.

Im wondering if the 25-30 MPH "maintained" wind you describe added to this.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered

Where is the hour meter on this thing?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hour meter should be in engine compartment - when looking at engine Left side up against the "firewall" if you will....near the light in the engine compartment... that where mine was.

You must have had pretty strong cross winds....to get wet.

I ran both of my 29's in all type of water and rarely got wet..rarely!!! When I did it had to do with slowing down and strong cross winds.

I never load a boat in the wind...I dock it and float it on by hand... wind will screw up more things then gel... but I only know this because I too have scratch a boat loading in the wind...haha

As far as the water you were in....that's what that boat loves.... GREAT rough water boat for the size - hands down!! organized or dis organized water, that boat just dances on the tops...
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

the roller should be fine......just install a shorter bolt that is hidden in the raised boss of the roller
i dont have trouble with loading the boat and dont need to have the trailer deeper for this and the strakes help to center the boat when loading
but where i launch ours flattens out so i have to be back further to launch only the steps and 2 of the lower strakes clip the bunks i have already replaced the bunks once and recovered them twice
i am considering making new bunk supports at work so that i can have tappered lead in on the bunks that the steps and strakes clip
Old 05-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Centsless
i am considering making new bunk supports at work so that i can have tappered lead in on the bunks that the steps and strakes clip
If you do, please post some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.