Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
Some video from the mid 90's regatta... >

Some video from the mid 90's regatta...

Notices

Some video from the mid 90's regatta...

Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some video from the mid 90's regatta...

For those with mulletts and the proper "tude"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGrM...ature=youtu.be

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-21-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome vid, Dave! Fun to see stuff from back then! I assume you probably have loads of old photos?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toofast
Awesome vid, Dave! Fun to see stuff from back then! I assume you probably have loads of old photos?
Thanks!

Actually no, I just pull stills from all the video I took back in the days.

I used a true broadcast camera ($$$$) not some chintzy deal and the still give e high enough res to work with them.

UD
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Dave, I hope you are doing well and healing completely. My new motor combo didn't work. I put the Stellings box on and broke the drive shaft in less than 10 hours. It cracked the bell housing as well. The 1000 ft lbs of torque are too much for the older technology. I called Stellings and they aren't even making boxes nor do they have any replacement parts.

So the box will come off and I'll go back to the original setup. This was an expensive experiment but this is, after all, boating. Best regards, Quent
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quent
Dave, I hope you are doing well and healing completely. My new motor combo didn't work. I put the Stellings box on and broke the drive shaft in less than 10 hours. It cracked the bell housing as well. The 1000 ft lbs of torque are too much for the older technology. I called Stellings and they aren't even making boxes nor do they have any replacement parts.

So the box will come off and I'll go back to the original setup. This was an expensive experiment but this is, after all, boating. Best regards, Quent
Getting better everyday - thanks Quent!

Total bummer, but you are handling it like a champ.

An Indy would hold that.
We know an NXT wont hold it.

Now we know an SCX wont hold 1000 ft pounds either.
Time to go with something like a #6.

UD
Old 07-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Dave, glad to hear you are headed in the right direction. What broke on my boat was the Stellings part of the drive shaft that bolts to the crank. The IMCO SCX is still ok, I think. There is no rubber coupler between the crank and the drive shaft on a Stellings setup so no dampening. Additionally, the drive shaft I have (had) is 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a #6 drive shaft. My guess, and its a guess, is that the Stellings box was designed back in the day when a 500 was about the biggest thing that would ever be bolted up. So, I'll be down a few weeks. Nothing new but a testament to the idea that more hp is more fun?
Quent
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quent
Dave, glad to hear you are headed in the right direction. What broke on my boat was the Stellings part of the drive shaft that bolts to the crank. The IMCO SCX is still ok, I think. There is no rubber coupler between the crank and the drive shaft on a Stellings setup so no dampening. Additionally, the drive shaft I have (had) is 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a #6 drive shaft. My guess, and its a guess, is that the Stellings box was designed back in the day when a 500 was about the biggest thing that would ever be bolted up. So, I'll be down a few weeks. Nothing new but a testament to the idea that more hp is more fun?
Quent
Thanks for the clarification.
USUALLY more HP = more fun.

UD
Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An IMCO box would probably be better. Uses a longer drive shaft with the stock coupler, but theres many out there with 1000+hp going through them (mostly cats). Did you get a chance to test at all before it broke? I'm curious how it ran with the box compared to before?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Quent
Platinum Member

I did get to run the boat about 12 hours before the drive shaft broke. The boat has always come on plane well but was even better with the box. I was 12" back and 2" up. The boat also would stay on plane a little better at slow speed. At WOT the bow carried a little better.

The IMCO box would have meant raising the motor 3" and making new tails. I just didn't want to go to the time or expense. In retrospect, a box of some kind makes the boat marginally better, but the bow rider midcuddy weight up front seems to overcome much of the effect of the box. On a lighter bow boat I can see the extra dollars. All in all, there was not enough difference to justify the cost. Quent