2001 lavey craft bottom question >

2001 lavey craft bottom question

Notices

2001 lavey craft bottom question

Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I remember talking to Bob Teague about this boat when it was first at his shop for something...he said the boat had too much motor in it.
I saw it at Castaic when he was testing it and I think he said about the same thing. But not too long ago, Bob set up a 29 with an 850 Eickert motor and it ran 95 on rails. So I'm not sure if the setup wasn't quite right on this one or what.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellas I have decided to move away from this deal. After much thought it was going to cost too much with the drive issues and I would not feel comfortable until my engine guy went through the engine. More money!
I have a fresh all brand new 565 @ 720 hp motor that has been machined and ready to put together and dyno. This motor was intended for a new 2750 or 29 and I think that I will stay on this dream.
A guy can buy this boat for $49,000.00 but after you put that $20,000.00 in it you still have a 2001 boat.
Got a little excited because it was rigged much like I would have done, but I do agree that is a lot of motor for a single drive in a big V.

Thanks for all the input! I am heading out early tomorrow am (Wed) to the Lake Powell Challenge Poker run and will not be back till Sunday.

Schweeng you are right about the big blower motors! Part of me wanted this boat because it reminded me of my old 21 Eliminator Daytona with a jet drive back in the day!

Those 29's give a fella wood!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I passed on it before you. Really don't know how old the pics were but I seen one pic that the rub rail looked smashed and at first no drive pics were posted. I emailed him to put drive pics up. He did. The drive will not last and the story I got on the boat I saved the email. It was raced by Lavey. I will reread the email and post what was told to me by the current owner.

In this market and I have sold boats now going on 25 years. It is the worse market I have ever seen. Book is book and NADA does not buy boats so in the fact of the matter, all boats on the used market are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This boat has the wrong motor and the wrong drive on it. Its a 38k to 50k boat as someone would buy it in that price range. Again only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Plus its a 14 year old boat. 2014 year model boats are already out and running on the water.

I am not saying the boat will only bring 38k but I am say he will be very lucky to get 50 K out of it currently. Plus the insurance on it will be high for the buyer. Try to find a bank lender will be hard also - a 14 year old boat with 1000 hp in it. I would bet 20% to 50 % down payment with a least 720 credit score is bare min to get a loan if all possible on this boat.

Last edited by BUP; 09-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered

Yes I was concerned about the rub rail also (right rear of boat) was a long white smudge. The current owner sent me a video after he buffed it out and every thing looked fine, said it was a dock rub. He also told me that it had been raced by Lavey but I am not sure that I believe that. Looked at the original Teague engine build and it is from 2001 with the owners name on it. Lavey Jr. may be able to confirm either way.

I talked with AJ Barrett this weekend at the lake powell poker run and he told me the original owner kept the boat immaculate. Still like the boat, just not the engine and drive.
You are correct the banks did not want to play with this boat. I was coming to the table with 30% down and they did not want to do the boat because of the Teague motor.
Found a bank that would but the rate was to high. Could have paid for the boat but it would have wiped me out in this questionable economy. I really did not want to end up with two boats. When my boat sells the wife and I will get on a plane and head out to California.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a spot next to the original owner in Havasu... at an RV resort. Yes he kept it clean.......

I highly doubt it was raced by Lavey... Lavey was big into F1 back then but this boat is full pleasure set up (wrong motor for class)...and I don't remember seeing it in the circuit.

Maybe see if you can get the boat for 5-7k less... pull the motor.... Maybe get 5k for it..... combine that with the 5-7k savings and buy yourself a used 500efi or 525 motor.... end result...... big, happy smile for you and the wife!!!!!

The market is small for the 29 Laveys...this guy will have it for a long time..... make him another offer and see what he says. If you don't buy it, he'll have this next spring.

Last edited by Schweeng; 09-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

You are correct! I had thought about pulling the motor and selling it and setting my motor in it. This would make for a nice boat. The problem is he owed to much on the boat.

We will have to see how the winter goes and see what else pops up.

Schweeng, I know that you have driven the 29 but have you driven the 2750? If so what boat did you prefer?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the 29 (owned 3).... and I owned a 2750 as well... 29 all the way. I will say this, I have not been in a 2750 that has had the new bottom. I understand it is amazing. My 2750 was an 04. Great in the rough but didn't care for it at all in lake water(flat, semi-flat). If my choice is a 29 or a 2750 from 2006 or older... the 29 all day long!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Thanks Pal!! I really like 29 dash and we are ready for a nice wave crasher. Seems in this area, ski boats designed to make large wakes for surfing and wake boards are becoming more popular and tearing up the lake. Miss the ski days when everyone wanted a flat wake!