Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
Somebody in German is about to be really happy. >

Somebody in German is about to be really happy.

Notices

Somebody in German is about to be really happy.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYK78rm-KPI

This little rig sings.

You have guys that put little to no steering on a 29ft custom boat (or worse a 496 with no steering) Not sure why Jeff would even acquiesce but Ive heard a million stories - sometimes the client "has a guy for this and that" that kind of story happens all the time.

Then you have other guys - like me that have an ITS on a 21ft boat.

My favorite are the idiots that try to tell you they have "an engine guy" and they think that means they can drop a bare block off on a pallet ( no headers, looms, ignition intake) and claim they delivered "the engine" - in this business you just never know.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-11-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoodTrade 2750
Uncle Dave,
I did see your boat but it wasn't in the showroom at the time I was there. It was out back near the blue 39 Evo. Recognized the radar tower right away though! I've read everything to be seen here and otherwise easily found on your boat. Vey nice piece and i really enjoyed reading what I could about the build and how you set her up. Many great choices from my view and from what your boating preferences are for this one.

I'm new to LaveyCraft but have done my fair share of studying all I could on Lavey and especially the 2750. I have been in the market for a performance oriented MCOB in that size range for a few years and it came down to 3 manufacturers which all happen to be out in Southern California! I'm in New England and am not sure I've ever even seen a Lavey up here. That doesn't bother me in the least and I'm really anxious to get out in it. After crawling through it and then visiting the factory, I'm convinced I bought the best one for my preferences. Btw, you probably know the boat as it came out of Tennessee. Brought it home in November and all I've been able to do since putting it away for the winter is stare at pictures!

I came out of a 30' twin big block offshore boat and em really looking forward to something a little more economical and family friendly.

Great to see some chatter here on the forum. Been quiet all winter so hopefully sign of Spring!

Cheers,
Paul
Did you end up with Quents 2750? Thats the only one I can think out of Tennesee.
That was a phenomenal piece of work, and I keep getting handled by DW about the windscreen on that rig.
If you are used to East Coast rigs I think you'll find the West Coast stuff quite different.

Congrats either way Paul.

UD
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UD-
I did buy Quent's boat and am so excited about it! Given I have never had the chance to get up close to a Lavey, your coverage on the boat and brand played a big role in my decision. Quent was an absolute gentleman to deal with and I could not be happier about the deal and boat. Toughest part of it all has been Steve Tripp's passing. I was in touch with him a week before the tragedy about the motor. I'm sick to my stomach over it! Beyond that, the boat has everything I was looking for. And yes, the windshield is sweet! Had plenty of go-fasts and the last one was a triple digit one w/o windscreen. Pretty much a prerequisite this time around. It came down to Lavey, Howard or DCB and I definitely feel good about my choice.
I hear it is a driver's boat and am looking forward to learning it's manners. I also think we are going to enjoy the west coast configuration!
Thanks for all your input even though you didn't realize where some of it was going!
Paul
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoodTrade 2750
UD-
I did buy Quent's boat and am so excited about it! Given I have never had the chance to get up close to a Lavey, your coverage on the boat and brand played a big role in my decision. Quent was an absolute gentleman to deal with and I could not be happier about the deal and boat. Toughest part of it all has been Steve Tripp's passing. I was in touch with him a week before the tragedy about the motor. I'm sick to my stomach over it! Beyond that, the boat has everything I was looking for. And yes, the windshield is sweet! Had plenty of go-fasts and the last one was a triple digit one w/o windscreen. Pretty much a prerequisite this time around. It came down to Lavey, Howard or DCB and I definitely feel good about my choice.
I hear it is a driver's boat and am looking forward to learning it's manners. I also think we are going to enjoy the west coast configuration!
Thanks for all your input even though you didn't realize where some of it was going!
Paul
I didn't know Steve Tripp, but I only ever heard the greatest things about the guy- so very sad.
Also perhaps preventable which makes it even sadder. I couldn't fathom those speed with zero safety gear.

If there was a rig that I was jealous of it'd be your new ride.
(although an open bow isn't ideal for Ocean running - it rules on lakes)

I watched that whole thing go together piece by piece.
Depending on your perspective I think you will deliriously happy with it. When Bert got his 29 he said it felt small, but he was used to a brand called "power quest" which seems more of a bulk cruiser than a performance boat.

All the boats you mention are nice, but everything in life is a tradeoff- for bigger water I think you made the right choice.

The howard is fast- but sacrifices water handling - not a 24 degree V, has smaller tank, and the gelocoat work is typically a flat color. The lavey has more beam and is a touch longer. Howard makes great boats though.

The DCB is based on an Eliminator, but Dave has great quality- but its still really a "lake boat".

Quents/ Your 2750 was a kevlar layup to accomodate a crazy blown big block that If I recall Dustin Whipple himself built.
I remember the Lavey guys couldnt actually cut the cloth as they would normally.it was certainly a big deal.

What mill is in it now?

always happy to help BTW...

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

What mill is in it now?

always happy to help BTW...

UD
The current engine is a N/A 540 built by Steve with pretty much dyno time only. Built with all the right stuff and dynoed at 675 HP @5800 RPM.
I boat on inland lakes in New Hampshire and Maine, hence the open bow. It does get quite rough however with lots of wind blown chop so I wanted something that doesn't pound in the waves. Just got to get rid of the foot and a half of ice!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Thats going to be awesome.

Im guessing low 80's rig- maybe a MPH or 2 more with an exotic prop.

All our big desert lakes out here Mead, Powell, Mojave, Havasu- all "blow out" pretty bad in the afternoon and the 2750 slices through that crap like butter.

I wish I had an SCX. I'd feel more confident about long ocean runs.

UD
Old 03-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Im guessing low 80's rig- maybe a MPH or 2 more with an exotic prop.

Pretty much what Quent told me it did. 28P B1 Labbed by Bret Anderson on it now. Low 80's will do for an open bow (at least until I really get to know the boat). Quent proudly showed me the recall on the GPS Speedo which registered 102 MPH! Obviously fdrom the monster motor.
Thnik I'll leave that for some fun.....

I wish I had an SCX. I'd feel more confident about long ocean runs.

I hear ya, had my share of the Bravo Blues. Never had Imco so I'm hoping for some life combined with the N/A vs Blower motor.
Also figuring Quent has the X set for speed so hoping it comes on plane easily enough. Can always throw in a spacer if needed.
Pet peeve for me because my old twin step Cig was terrible coming on plane and I hated it.

Paul

UD[/QUOTE]
Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hola Dave,

"The early bottom design was built to work well with 500HP and are set up for that HP- the later ones with what lavey calls the "full bottom its very easy to drive and very stable at speed where the earlier bottom was a bit skittish (easily fixed however if you get an early one) "

Are you saying that the 29 has had a bottom change? I thought the 2750 was the only bottom change.. in 2007. Never heard that the 29 was reworked...if it was, what year was it done?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweeng
Hola Dave,

"The early bottom design was built to work well with 500HP and are set up for that HP- the later ones with what lavey calls the "full bottom its very easy to drive and very stable at speed where the earlier bottom was a bit skittish (easily fixed however if you get an early one) "

Are you saying that the 29 has had a bottom change? I thought the 2750 was the only bottom change.. in 2007. Never heard that the 29 was reworked...if it was, what year was it done?

Thanks,

Chris
I believe you are right Schweeng - I should have been speaking of the 2750 only.

(I miss Jr's gentle corrective hand)

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-12-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Im my hurry to talk about boats (for eht first time in eons) I mixed my models!
I always did enjoy the power of a good team approach to a conversation anyway.

I did take a few shots last weekend I didn't post,

Worth a look- see-

UD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.