Twin Scorpions vs Big Block

Notices

Twin Scorpions vs Big Block

Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Twin Scorpions vs Big Block

Have an opportunity to build a Magnum from the ground up.Twin 6.2 litre 360 hp Scorpions or Big Block ???
Currently we are running twin 350 small block Donovan's 12.5 -1 compression using 116 octane. Four 650 Holley's,tunnel ram"s,TRS drives and original Merc transmissions.These we two of four that Tom Gentry had and were re-built by Vern Gilbert in 1998 who took over Gentry Marine after Tom died.The engines kick in at 5,500 rpm and red line at 8,000 however we know the old Transmissions won't hold past 80-85-mph.In order to put in stronger transmissions we have to move everything 11-12 inches forward and as you can see in the photo's cost would be prohibited.
That is why the question Scorpions or Big Block.We don't want to pull these engines because this our show boat for the new company we started this year www,boatwrapzs an alternative to painting .Also any one going to the Nationals in Deerfield. Bud
Attached Thumbnails Twin Scorpions vs Big Block-img_0017.jpg   Twin Scorpions vs Big Block-img_0004.jpg   Twin Scorpions vs Big Block-img_0007-.jpg  

Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Twin Scorpions vs Big Block

Bud,if its to much work to change everything to move them ahead,why not go with bravoes and move them back 6 inches.Cant say anything about changing to a big block because it sounds like one big block would have a problem giving you the speed you got now,but then 116 octains not cheap either,for a pleasure boat.Just a thought,the single is sure a lot simpler hook up,when you have to work on it.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought a 72c was only 2" longer ?......That boat is just tooo cool not to
run the way it is !
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We have found another Maltese and want to put either a big block or twin Scorpions in the new hull...that is the question.If everything goes well we can pick up both Scorpions which are new for under $20,000 plus drives.I been told that a re-built big block will cost a lot more than that.
On the Maltese in the picture we will leave the current engines in and moving to Bravos might be a answer but don't think I can use the same cut outs in the transom from the TRS's. Bud
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravos are not the answer...Maybe run ext. boxes if you need to.
{I really like that boat ]

Twinn Scorpions would be real nice in the new one. Hard to break a smallblock !...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are Scorpions better than the 383s?
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/383_Magnum.htm
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We have a pair of new 383's going into our 1st re-built that we will pick up from our glass/paint guy this coming week and will send pictures of before and after.
Back to 2nd re-build ...the Scorpion,according to the specs is a 6.2 litre however produces 377 hp at the prop a little more than the 383.Also was reading some old info on placement on drives and a past owner/racer owner said he raised the drives as high as he could and wished he could have gone higher...any thoughts.
Also thanks for the comments on the design,we have over 60 non traditional designs like the Magnum Maltese.Just go to our web site www.boatwrapzs.com,we only have few that you can view but can send others to you,or your custom design.Cost is 30-40 % of paiting and your boat it will only be tied up for a 7-10 days. Bud

Last edited by mr vinyl; 09-22-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk to Konrad and put the trans in the box and you Will have a bullet proof set up.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

As Far As Anything I Have Read Or Researched On A Twin To Single Application, The Mags Seem To Have A Better Attitude With A Single At Least With Mine Anyway, I Have Ridden In A Twin Small Block Mag With Trs And It Really Was Not That Impressive As Far As Rough Water Speed...........i Guess It All Depends On What U Want To Due With The Boat,,,,,,,,,,,cruise Around Or Run Ruff Water At 80............the Twins Were Real Nice Around The Dock I Must Say.............
Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for you suggestion on Konrad,we will call them Monday
On how fast do we want to run...just want to show all the boys with their overstuffed boats that a Mid 70's Magnum can run with the best of them.We should have both boats dialed in by then an will run them in some of our regional runs.This will be a great opportunity to show off Vinyl Wrapsz,which will some day replace the majority of high end painting because is cost 50-60% less.
Also will pick up another Maltese which has been re-tagged,we post pictures in order to date.
Don't get wrong on big boats there are a lot of us who think 27-36 is a great size. Bud

Quick Reply: Twin Scorpions vs Big Block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.