Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like >

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Notices

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddito
hello guys ,i have a 1974 magnum with twins 350 and the distributor that i have is PRESTOLITE and parts seems to be hard to find,
for example i need the module(pick up coil) and i have spent two days trying to find it , i finally found it and it was 156.00 per engine,
does that sounds right????
the other thing is that when the boat runs for about 30 minutes it starts to run really rough and it almost seems to me that it the carburators flooding but its not, those modules(pick up coils) they are getting hot and the spark gets really weak and its making the boat to run like s---!!!!
what do you guys recomend?
any help counts!!!!

Please post a pic of your distributor's.

Jeff
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddito,you didnt say if both engs run like s---||| or just one.
Another thing to try is take the tack wire loose and see what it doe's.When they did away with the resisters they went with a resister wire from the switch to the coil and they used to give us fits too.I have a fishing boat with 350 and prestolite ignition and dont use either,run my switch wire right to the coil no resister an works great.Back a few years i had a Donzi with the same set up you have and hooked them up the same way and never had the first problem in 5 years running.The first thing is to be sure if its fuel or electrice or your going to be spending a lot of money for nothing.Their are a few simple ways to find that out an then you can focus on the other.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

Default ignition

i finally found the problem with the boat running bad,
i have prestolite ignition and the module(pick up coil) was getting burnt every so often and finally the guy that works on JERRYS MARINE in ftl. looked at it and told me that the whole problem was my coils.
the guy that had the boat before me put MSD blaster 2 coils thinking that he was going to get stronger spark and the boat will run better.
well the spark was so strong that it will melt those modules really fast. Yesterday i went an bought two regular coils and drove the boat all afternoon and it ram Great!!!!What a difference.
Thank guys for all your help.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good to hear you got it figured out,can be a real hair puller sometimes. Mel