Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like >

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Notices

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you misunderstood me.I was talking about a normal Mag not boats that were set up for racing,BIG diff.The eng. i just pulled out would bring Vixen up to mid 80s with no problem and thats only 1 eng.Rogers boat would leave me in his wake real quike with his 2 big blocks no dought, and i'm talking gps speeds not speedos that they all used back then.I have a gaffree racing clock i used for 2 years and when i put the gps in, Vixen all of a sudden got 3mph slower.Bud no dought that boat of yours will be fast but i'm glad its you buying 116 fuel and not me.Another thing that old man is 2 years younger than me and if you get him hurt i wont have anybody to BS with anymore. Mel
Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nocigarette
I am 6.6 and i love having a stand up mag, but the last thing i would due is cut up a boat like lens........Keep the mags the way the once were, just make them cooooooler....
Hey guys. i know everyone has diff idea's
I know i should leave it alone, but i would love a set of bolsters in it. mabey leave the floor alone and put the bolsters in the boat and see?????

Mabey i will be standing to high with out cut outs what do you guys think.

But if i leave the floor alone i can always put back the buckets seats???

had the rear couch redone and the back rest, they called it's ready also want to redo the windsheild. cig1 is getting his done and i thought i would get the same guy to do one for me,

Would you guys go back to the dark green or black

I really do like hearing your idea's

Thanks. LEN
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Mel,
I understand. The Sports that I was referring to were boats that were used every weekend and some during the week to run around the bay or out to lunch or dinner. Some had big blocks and some small blocks. i know there were many that were a lot fasted then mine was.

Thank you

Jim
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mag27
Smarty,What kind of power were you running in your Mag,and was that racing speedo or gps.18teen to 20 years ago that was some speed,even today you dont hear of many Mags going much over 75.Right now i'm running a very mild 540 in Vixen compared to the one i just took out and she still hits 80mph and maybe a couple more when i switch to a 28 B1 prop,right now she runs 60 at 4000rpms an 80 at 6000 with a 26 B1 an i still keep tabs just 3inch above neutral at the tips.What i want is a mild enough 540 like this one i just put in with a hyd. cam that will idle and handle great at the dock and cruise at 60mph at about 36 or 3700 rpm. Mel
Mel,

Here it is at 81 mph on radar in the early 1990's at ProRoc's/WatersEdge Restaurant radar shoot out on Barnegat Bay (Bayville, NJ).
Attached Thumbnails Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-my-father.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 05-02-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

In that picture the boat was spinning stock 25" Mirages. In the later years we spun labbed (added cup, and the leading edge thinned) 27" Mirages 5300 rpm. There was bottom work done (straightening/blue-printing). The motors were LS-6 (454's), 10:1 pistons, Chevy heads, Chevy intake, 850 Holley.

My father did a ton of work to that boat, it was in pieces when he bought it in 1988, he owned till 2005. It was an honest 84 mph to 86 mph boat in the later years. He played with different cams, intakes, ect. He was always looking for that extra mph, with handling

I loved that boat!
Attached Thumbnails Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-100_0066-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 04-30-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great shot!.......my boat used to have those holes on the side.......there's water coming out?....what were they?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 24degrees
That's a great shot!.......my boat used to have those holes on the side.......there's water coming out?....what were they?
Transmission cooler
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was that a TRS piece? or added at some point?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
Mel,

Here it is at 81 mph on radar in the early 1990's at ProRoc's radar shoot out on Barnegat Bay.
Smarty, Would love to see some more pic's of your dad's boat in/out

Great shot
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Was that a TRS piece? or added at some point?
It was a TRS boat from the factory. It came with 350 cu.in./395 hp MerCruiser Tempest package. My father added the hydraulic helm, and updated the external steering; that made the boat so much more better to drive at WOT. According to the salesman(Brad at Ocean Beach Marina) who delivered the boat in 1974 (we spoke with him about the Magnum at the NYC boat shows in the late 80's and early 90's), the boat ran 74 mph back then. My father was the third in the series of owners.

The boat was sitting in one of garages at Arnold's Yacht Basin, it did not have motors, the interior was shot, and the boat need going through. It had been partially sunk at one point. But the gel coat was in great shape, it still has the original gel coat (when we sold it, never painted - except for the transom). So my father bought it and had a new project on his hands.

My father has owned,16' and 18' Donzi's, a 20' Cigarette, 24' Pantera, and now the 34' Phantom. This Magnum was by far my favorite boat. The Phantom is great, but the Magnum had character, and was fun to drive. I loved racing other boats in that Magnum, didn't matter whether we won or lost, it was just a joy to drive that boat. Gotta love the Magnums!

Picture is from 2003 or 2004, not sure.
Attached Thumbnails Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-100_0052-small-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.