Here is the Red Baron.
That's it. Still in NE Ohio?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by inbetween
That's it. Still in NE Ohio?
The pic is from 1973 or 74, at the Mentor Yacth Club. Today ??????
Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
The pic is from 1973 or 74, at the Mentor Yacth Club. Today ??????
Found an old pic from '82 ?? Running on Lake Erie between Mentor Harbor and Fairport Harbor

Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great shot!....thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Leaving for Key West this week, many of my Ohio friends will be there. I might be able to find out more info on this Mag and others.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

I was planning to go look at this boat tomorrow or Wednesday. The current owner and I have been talking via email, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

We were talking about trading. I have a 1989 21' Scarab Excel that is ready for the water. It's all original. A bit faded, but has 320 original hours and runs excellent. I had it out all summer this year, and just had it out last weekend actually.

I know this Magnum needs work (from the pics), but if anyone that has seen it or has real knowledge of it could let me know their opinion I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thank you!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KSims1868
I was planning to go look at this boat tomorrow or Wednesday. The current owner and I have been talking via email, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

We were talking about trading. I have a 1989 21' Scarab Excel that is ready for the water. It's all original. A bit faded, but has 320 original hours and runs excellent. I had it out all summer this year, and just had it out last weekend actually.

I know this Magnum needs work (from the pics), but if anyone that has seen it or has real knowledge of it could let me know their opinion I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thank you!!
I looked at it a month ago or so. Boat needs to be gutted and started from srcatch. Both sets of volvos are junk, so you will need to budget a set of drives of some sort. Engines might run, but guy made an excuse about someone stealing his batteries, but that may not be to far fetched considering it is not stored in a secure location. Boat has been wreced and patched. You can see eveidence on starbord front side. Deck is cracked and gel has been patched on hull sides.

Transom has been patched and sounds pretty bad. I have actually made a couple offers, It would make good project, but it will take a LOT of work.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

About 10-15K project if the engines are good, sand you do all of glass and paintwork yourself, and salvage the drives.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

He is saying he has some rebuilt drives he will include with the deal if I trade for my running 21' Scarab.

He's telling me that...with replacing the boot that's busted on the current drive it could be put in the water and run.

I was thinking that I could re-do the drives this month and then restore it section by section (interior, exterior, engines) throughout this winter by tossing a couple grand at it each month.

I (in theory) was hoping to get it in the water for under $1,000 after I got the boat. it might not be "pretty" to look at, but I can deal with cosmetics later. I just want it to run and be reliable while I get the cosmetics done over time.

Do you think (if I have rebuilt drives to install) - that my theory is feasible?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KSims1868
He is saying he has some rebuilt drives he will include with the deal if I trade for my running 21' Scarab.

He's telling me that...with replacing the boot that's busted on the current drive it could be put in the water and run.

I was thinking that I could re-do the drives this month and then restore it section by section (interior, exterior, engines) throughout this winter by tossing a couple grand at it each month.

I (in theory) was hoping to get it in the water for under $1,000 after I got the boat. it might not be "pretty" to look at, but I can deal with cosmetics later. I just want it to run and be reliable while I get the cosmetics done over time.

Do you think (if I have rebuilt drives to install) - that my theory is feasible?
I mentioned the rebuilt drives and I don't think they are any good either. You will also have to find a set of props for it. the ones that are on it are not correct for those drives and the ones on the other drives will not be the right size. This guy got screwed by the guy he bought it from and he is looking for some one to dump it off on.

Honestly, I doubt you will get this thing in the water for less than 5K as it is. And that would be if you ignored major issues that most boat owners would not even consider. This boat has structural issues.

It is also a lot harder to insure than your current boat. You will have to get a survey on it and that will cost you money and I doubt any reputable surveyor will stamp it seaworthy. I saw all of these things and I never got into the cockpit.

Go see for yourself. This is not a fixer upper for a beginner, but hey we all start somwhere.

If you are just trying to move up to a bigger boat, there are much better ways of doing it. If you are trying to move up to a Magnum, there are better deals out there on running boats.

A running 21' scarab with a bravo and 454 is a pretty fast boat. BuyUBoy has one and his will almost hit 80. What is wrong with yours?

Last edited by jeff1000man; 11-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody Remember this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.