Early Magnum serial numbers >

Early Magnum serial numbers

Notices

Early Magnum serial numbers

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Magnum serial numbers

I just acquired a Magnum 27 with the vee windshield . . and was told the boat was built in 1968 . . it is identified by a New Hampshire stamped in serial number on the transom as it is older than the VIN ID number law . .

Did Magnum hide the hull number anywhere on the boat like Donzi did in the early days? I'm thinking they must have as both companies were Don's . . .

fwiw, I bought the boat from Ebay that brought no bids, Sudden Impulse. The boat will be used on Winnipesaukee and in the new England area . .
Originally it was bright yellow and was delivered to someone in Boston.

Thank you for any help!
Mario L.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

can you post pictures
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mario...I posted on Donzi too. Check under the dash.....a 1968 Sport would be a VERY early boat.....
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mario L.
I just acquired a Magnum 27 with the vee windshield . . and was told the boat was built in 1968 . . it is identified by a New Hampshire stamped in serial number on the transom as it is older than the VIN ID number law . .

Did Magnum hide the hull number anywhere on the boat like Donzi did in the early days? I'm thinking they must have as both companies were Don's . . .

fwiw, I bought the boat from Ebay that brought no bids, Sudden Impulse. The boat will be used on Winnipesaukee and in the new England area . .
Originally it was bright yellow and was delivered to someone in Boston.

Thank you for any help!
Mario L.
Hi, I flew over from England this week to buy that boat from Jim who phoned me on Tuesday to say that the IRS were taking the boat to cover his back taxes so he could not sell it to me . I hope you have clear title. He also told me it was in good condition, then he told me a Racoon had eated the cockpit trim.I would like to here the real truth please, so what was the real deal
Old 10-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Hi, I flew over from England this week to buy that boat from Jim who phoned me on Tuesday to say that the IRS were taking the boat to cover his back taxes so he could not sell it to me . I hope you have clear title. He also told me it was in good condition, then he told me a Racoon had eated the cockpit trim.I would like to here the real truth please, so what was the real deal
Wow....sorry to hear that.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Ian,

Don't know what your arrangement with Jim was, I was in contact with him from the middle of September, all through his and my communications there were numerous mentions of IRS debt . . He also mentioned your name and that he wanted to discourage you from coming over. This after I saw the interior!! read on . .
I first saw the boat 3 weeks ago, and also expected more of a boat from his description. The boat has not been used since 1995, and has been stored ever since then. Apparently he never looked at the boat during this time, because he also told me that the boat had a new interior when put away. Some sort of animal did get in and chew up all the upholstery. There were also turds in the boat and on the deck. It was very apparent to me that he was very upset about the condition of the boat when I took delivery.
His life today is not what it was when this boat was in its glory.

The boat needs a lot of work. The recessed area on the deck has been filled in. It will need all new upholstery, all chrome needs to be replated, etc.
My winter will be very busy, I hope to have it ready for next spring.
There is a red and white 27 Sport for sale in Michigan.
http://www.boattrader.com/find/listi...Sport-93719866 . . this might be a turn key boat, and the history of the boat has always been in that area. Read the thread at:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...960#post475960

Good Luck in your search.

Mario L.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Mario...I posted on Donzi too. Check under the dash.....a 1968 Sport would be a VERY early boat.....
24degrees . .Thank you
I checked under the dash, and any place where old Donzi's have the numbers, I have yet to crawl forward to the bow eye . .
Every spot I've looked was done in white gelcoat, and there is some original yellow gelcoat overspray. This boat was yellow when new.

I did find inside the seats on the fiberglass bases written "Hull # 71"
but need to check with the seller if these seats are from the boat when new. He did mention that he put a new interior in the baot in 1994 . . I believe him because the remnants of the cushions where they were not disturbed, that the zippers on the backs were like new, clean crisp and white as snow. NEW . . and everything else he told me about the boat has proven to be true.

This is all I have now . .

Mario