Standing while driving a 27' sport

Notices

Standing while driving a 27' sport

Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standing while driving a 27' sport

I am in the process of restoring a 1973 27 sport. I am at the point of trying to figure out how to make it where I can drive while standing. The original floor height makes it way too high for this. I don't want to cut down the 18" center keel stringer or the 7 1/2" secondary stringers which provide the main longitudinal strength, so I am left with possibly making a cutout between the two. It looks like I could make a platform 8 1/2" below the normal floor level for standing. I am thinking about installing drop down bolster front seats with a hinged cutout in the floor that I could fold out of the way when I want to stand. Has anyone done this type setup or have any other ideas? Bill
Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
Make it a sit down ,,with some nice highback seats,,,,u will get used to it.
I never going to go back to stand up !!!!!!!
Its just so much easier to run and allot better for your back and knees !!!
Thanks for the response. I like to stand sometimes - not all the time. The plan I have would allow me either to sit or stand. Today I built the support brace and plates for the sub-floor which will also be a storage area that will be off the bottom. It is exactly 8 1/4" lower than the existing floor - enough to make a big difference. I will also glass in a back crossmember to add strength and provide the back of the compartment. I will likely carpet the area after I glass it all in. By the way, if anyone needs some new fuel gauge inspection ports, I bought some extra ones (chrome on brass) from a supplier since they are no longer made. Here are a few pictures. Bill

Last edited by Conquistador; 06-14-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a pic of what it looks like to stand in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Standing while driving a 27' sport-magnum_mark.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Or this way..
Attached Thumbnails Standing while driving a 27' sport-mag-hghgffhh.jpg   Standing while driving a 27' sport-horba-mag.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

were the floors lower on the race boats... seem deeper.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That guy looks like he is maybe 6'4"+, but it also shows exactly why I want a lower standing platform to drive from. With some decently high bolster seats to help encapsulate me and the lower floor, I can't see why it would be a problem to drive while standing.

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Or this way..
Thanks
What a great set of pictures of the way it can be done. Bill
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As someone on OS said a few years back..... "he sticks out like a boner in sweatpants!"
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

I don't think mark is that tall.
Has he shrunk over the years?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

were the floors lower on the race boats... seem deeper.
I will try to post some pictures of the Hairy Canary's floor, it had floor cut-outs, which I loved. I could sit in the seat, or drop out the bottom seat, to make it a bolster when I was racing (or my father was racing), or wanted to stand when planing the boat.

I am in a sit down boat now, and I was used to/conditioned to drive that 27' Magnum with those floor-cut-outs, I prefer boating that way with the floor cut-outs, you can stand and sit lower, eat less wind (in theory, not in reality).

My father was standing in this picture.

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails Standing while driving a 27' sport-my-father.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Conquistador
I am in the process of restoring a 1973 27 sport. I am at the point of trying to figure out how to make it where I can drive while standing. The original floor height makes it way too high for this. I don't want to cut down the 18" center keel stringer or the 7 1/2" secondary stringers which provide the main longitudinal strength, so I am left with possibly making a cutout between the two. It looks like I could make a platform 8 1/2" below the normal floor level for standing. I am thinking about installing drop down bolster front seats with a hinged cutout in the floor that I could fold out of the way when I want to stand. Has anyone done this type setup or have any other ideas? Bill

Hello Bill
I cut out the floor on my 27 Sport and then glassed in wood boxes that I made, I glassed the outside of the boxes and dropped the floor about 8 inches, I had a drop down bolster setup also. Used 3/4 marine plywood. The cut outs were only in the front of the cockpit where the seats would normally be, a little less then 2 feet long. The rest of the floor was kept at the standard height.
Thank you
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.