1974 28 Magnum Maltese

Notices

1974 28 Magnum Maltese

Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1974 28 Magnum Maltese

New to the forum and I am very excited about participating in the future. Awesome, awesome site!

I have Maltese hull #17 built in late 1973, with two LT-1 350 chevy's and Volvo 270T's, and sold in Algonac Michigan. I have had this boat since 1984 and left Michigan in 1992.

Due to Hurrican Katrina in Biloxi MS (2005) I am about to embark on a resoration and i am in need of several things of which the first is a proper fitting alluminum trailer that is easy to load and unload without fear of damaging the boat in any fashion once the resto is complete. I also believe this boat had a bubble hatch originally and not the square hatch currently installed on the deck. So I am actively seeking one of these as well.

I am also seeking input and recommendatons on a restoration shop that you all may have utilized or may have knowledge of their work. I will need engine work, hydraulic steering repaired, deck repaired with new (original) hatch installed, gel coat, etc. as I want the boat to look factory new if possible. I also need some flooring work and anything else you may imagine to be in need of attention in a 35 year old boat.

Last but not least, does anyone have any history on this boat? I know it was on Lake St. Clair and was raced. If you catch the sun just right I can see where there were graphics indicating "Driven by ???????" as if it was campaigned with the driver's and navigator's names on the hull.

Any info provided is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks in advance,

JPrusinows
Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any pics you could post?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default #17

# 17 hull was sold to Emerald City Harbor,It was Slate blue in color and the keel was laid or sold on 4.28/74.It had twin Chris-Craft 300's for power.What is the hull # from the starboard top side of the transom. ? Bud
Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

This Maltese was most likely the P-777 Hot Dogging, she had a short race history.
Attached Thumbnails 1974 28 Magnum Maltese-mag-hot-dogging.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Default "Hot Doggin"

That's it! Explains the blue fuzz interior! Had a re-paint and now is red with Red and white stripe interior. Can you guys recommend a painter or restoration shop in Michigan, Florida, anywhere to get this Maltese back up and running? Needs engine work and a little hull repair, paint, gel coat, floor work , windshield, probably go thtrugh the tanks, electric, etc. Most parts are intact and used prior to Hurricane Katrina. Want to get everything up to 100% for pleasure cruising and old school re-union next year.

Will try to post some photos and any others you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

PGA Collision did an amazing job painting mine. They're located in Chesterfield MI. Give Gary Patchak a call, 586-725-1863. Tell him Kevin with the Orange Mag sent you. He also just finished painting a colleague's of mine mag. He was also more than satisfied.
They can also do the glass and floor work.
Call Stellar Plastics in Detroit on the windshield, they have the original mold from magnum spot back in the 70's. Had one made, perfect fit, and perfect original blueish color. As far as the engines go I've heard good things about Northshore marine right next to PGA in Chesterfield...

Last edited by Cigret1; 06-30-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mel Riggs in WI could do a nice job to it, for sure.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JPrusinows
That's it! Explains the blue fuzz interior! Had a re-paint and now is red with Red and white stripe interior. Can you guys recommend a painter or restoration shop in Michigan, Florida, anywhere to get this Maltese back up and running? Needs engine work and a little hull repair, paint, gel coat, floor work , windshield, probably go thtrugh the tanks, electric, etc. Most parts are intact and used prior to Hurricane Katrina. Want to get everything up to 100% for pleasure cruising and old school re-union next year.

Will try to post some photos and any others you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
I heard you talked to Mike Rags, he knows some good people to work on your Maltese. I found one more pic of your Mag from Back In The Day !!!
Attached Thumbnails 1974 28 Magnum Maltese-mag-hot-doggin1.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered

Jprusinows, are you in MI or in Biloxi?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

In Biloxi George. Originally from Michigan and very familiar with the area. My father was on the water for years and knows most of the people discussed on this site. Thought I would start there for help getting this thing back in the water. Michigan still is the Mecca for Magnums! Lot of knowledge and experience (and hopefully some parts) there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.