Relaunched after 14 years! >

Relaunched after 14 years!

Notices

Relaunched after 14 years!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mario,

I wouldn't waste your time with the Merc props.
The Solas are really good!

Jeff
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mario L.
This coming weekend I plan to work more on the vee winshield . . it's winter here in NH now with snow and every time I have to work on it I'll need to uncover it and move it indoors . . PIA
Hey Mario, Are you still going to use the example of the 24
Bananna for your vee windshield?? I'd be interested to see
some pics along the way..........keep up the great work!
Scippy
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H2O . . . throwing stuff like this away is a sin . . too bad . . . I once lost out on a barn full of old MB 300SL Gullwing parts that went to the recycler . . same way . .

Jeff,
Solas props as I understand it are limited to 23P .. . with twin 450-475 HP small blocks that can spin 6000 all day long, won't I be running out of prop . . . ???

Scippy,

yes, I am doing the winsheild like this, just other things have interfered with my boat play time right now . .;-( I need to get back at it so it's ready in spring!!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

Mario,

I think you'll be okay with the 23's. My friend is running one on his XK19 with 420 hp. Just for reference, my 300hp engines couldn't spin 21's up to 5800. I could only get them up to 4700. They had around 6% slip. I had to step down to 19 pitch.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Registered

WOW !!!!!

Beautiful !
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Default Older boats are just too cool

There is something to be said about the old designs, I would love an old magnum or cig. all re-done. Nice boat
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

We had 50 degrees at luch time today with really cold temps in the forecast, so sadly I wrppaed her up till I have time to work on it again.

Even wrapped I can bring it into the shop and lift it off the trailer to redo the bottom . . so that will happen over New Years weekend . .
4 days as long as I don't have a hangover from partying

My wonderful wife might even buy me two new props for Christmas . . . 23P solas 1 LH 1 RH . . .

Jeff, how fast do you run at WOT . . .

Dear Santa,
Please bring me two Volvo nose cones . . .

Mario

Last edited by Mario L.; 12-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Mario,

The 21's put me 55mph@4700. My engines make peak power @5800. I haven't had a chance to run the 19's yet.

If you're really bored during your engine swap, raising the drives 2" should get you another 6MPH.

Jim"Damnmagnum" had Roger Munn do this to his stock boat back in the day.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Registered

Default Update and progress

Thought I'd bring this thread back up as we've been busy working on the boat. I'll post some pics here as soon as I have time.
We're in the midst of moving and my BMW shop is crazy busy as well . . .

I've now stripped the bottom, repaired everything and given the hull 4 coats of barrier epoxy, and 3 coats of Petit Vivid white. I chose to use the least toxic of the two Vivid selections.
Anyone applying the latter, please use a respirator and ventilation. The barrier caot wasn't bad to apply, but the Vivid bottom paint is nasty chit!
We did it in my body shop, using a fork lift and a car lift to raise the boat off my trailer.
You can see pics on the thread at Donzi.net posted by my son.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62144

I've acquired new engine blocks, 2 Dart 383 blocks, Eagle forged cranks and rods, but won't get these built till next winter. I'm just too busy with other stuff, and to frugal and cheap to pay someone to do what I do for a living for other people.

We'll also post pics on my website, as this project is part of what we do at VSR.

Mario L.
www.VSR1.com
Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

I read on the Donzi post that you polished the Imron to that great shine. I got a Mag in orange Imron with some marks on it that I'm going to try to get polish back up. What type of polish and tool did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.