Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Magnum Sport Restoration Begins! >

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!

Notices

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the motors out tonight, I will tear them down over the weekend and see what kind of surprises are inside! I am going to get started on re-installing the cockpit floor and had a few questions for you guys. Would you recommend using all marine grade plywood or will standard plywood coated in resin get the job done? I am sure this next question will be very controversial but i have to ask........ I am thinking of dropping the floor a few inches and was curious if it would be detrimental to the strength of the hull if I trim the 3 stringers down a bit i would then either add additional stringers or ad structure to the current ones? I have looked through some past threads and am not crazy about the look of dropping recessed boxes down in the floor, I will most likely leave it stock but wanted to get some of your input prior to moving forward. I will post some more pics over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-img_0613.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

If you seal out all the edges & glass underside & face, there's no reason to spend double on marine grade........I've used exterior grade ply w/one smooth from home depot.
I've not completed the cockpit sole yet, but it will be lowered by 7" when I'm done. to visualize this would be as if a "tub" would be lowered into place surrounded by glassed in gussets.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Ironhead lowered his floor when he restored the ANACONDA Mag. It's not a bad way to go if want more freeboard.

QUOTE=hotrod62;3517053]I pulled the motors out tonight, I will tear them down over the weekend and see what kind of surprises are inside! I am going to get started on re-installing the cockpit floor and had a few questions for you guys. Would you recommend using all marine grade plywood or will standard plywood coated in resin get the job done? I am sure this next question will be very controversial but i have to ask........ I am thinking of dropping the floor a few inches and was curious if it would be detrimental to the strength of the hull if I trim the 3 stringers down a bit i would then either add additional stringers or ad structure to the current ones? I have looked through some past threads and am not crazy about the look of dropping recessed boxes down in the floor, I will most likely leave it stock but wanted to get some of your input prior to moving forward. I will post some more pics over the weekend.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-ac2-h2o-1.bmp   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-mag-anaconda-2011.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-mag-rob-09-h2o.jpg  

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-mag-anaconda-2011-1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boy that sure looks beautiful! Does Ironhead still own it?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bobo1
Boy that sure looks beautiful! Does Ironhead still own it?
Yes he does, the pic's dont do it justice...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like the look of the TRS hatch on the sport. Anaconda & Kemosabe John's 27 both have it. also the best colors in my opinnion....Tangarine & yellow respectively..........Mark, is there any further info on ironhead process to lower Anaconda floor. How many inches?.......full cockpit?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
I like the look of the TRS hatch on the sport. Anaconda & Kemosabe John's 27 both have it. also the best colors in my opinnion....Tangarine & yellow respectively..........Mark, is there any further info on ironhead process to lower Anaconda floor. How many inches?.......full cockpit?
4" lower and if it would just warm up a little id uncover it and burn some gas, sparkey made a nice storage area under the floor. the floor flushes out where the chine meets the v of the bottom, and i knew i was loosing hair but that picture from behind scares me
Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ironhead,

In my opinnion there is no better looking boat then the 27 sport.....Anaconda is a high water mark among sports... hard to believe (some 40+ yrs. later) the 27 hull & deck design continues to be as timeless as ever.
The only issue I have is low freeboard. The gunnel (or sides)can almost feel equal to the knee's, a bit scary at speed. Like Hotrod62 stated, I to was concerned about structural integrity as well to the hull.. Lowering the floor would certainly help make the family feel more "in" the boat & safe............your family does look to be enjoying themselfs. Was there a feeling of more in the boat after you lowered the floor?....I also intend to have the V meet the hard chime............Wonder if did you document the work?........................and don't worry about the hair thing, it's an "old skool" trait we all share.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Ironhead,

In my opinnion there is no better looking boat then the 27 sport.....Anaconda is a high water mark among sports... hard to believe (some 40+ yrs. later) the 27 hull & deck design continues to be as timeless as ever.
The only issue I have is low freeboard. The gunnel (or sides)can almost feel equal to the knee's, a bit scary at speed. Like Hotrod62 stated, I to was concerned about structural integrity as well to the hull.. Lowering the floor would certainly help make the family feel more "in" the boat & safe............your family does look to be enjoying themselfs. Was there a feeling of more in the boat after you lowered the floor?....I also intend to have the V meet the hard chime............Wonder if did you document the work?........................and don't worry about the hair thing, it's an "old skool" trait we all share.
Pete,

When I dropped the floor on the "Plum Crazy"Sport,
I did not cut down the two side stringers, I only cut down the center stringer and then laminated/glassed 3/4" marine ply wood on both sides of the center sringer. I dropped the floor about 7 inches. I mated my dropped floor against the two side stringers. With the 3 man race set up , I didn't feel comfortable with some one straddling the center stringer.

Back then, Bilt-Rite in Miami built me a new 3 man racing bolster with drop seats on the two outter positions, they wouldn't built it with 3 drop seats as they told me there was was no place for the center position bottom to swing down to.

Thank you

Jim
Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jim,

What kind of engine hatch was on Plum Crazy?....it's hard to tell from your avatar. Anyway, I just got done fabricating a "flat" engine hatch & also installed a flush lifting handle by Perko. As far as the floor goes.... 7" was removed from the center stringer which eliminates the side stringers alltogether for maximun space............Parnell has devised a pretty good structual plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.