Notices

74 Maltese

Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark,
Any more pictures of the orange racing Maltese? Specifically the helm/seat area. In the picture you posted a page back, there apears to to be something on the deck along the side of the seat. On my boat there appears to be holes drilled for cables (judging by the diameter and angle) and ahead of that maybe a plate. Which from some of things I have seen over the years may have been an indicator for the tabs.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Ok, recent news has caused a few changes to take place. The biggest one, it will be orange again. The next decision, re-gel it or awlgrip it. I have never shot gel, but done a couple of awlgrip jobs. Soon as I get all of the glass work finalized that bridge will be crossed.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnum Maltese # 1

Had a meeting with Sonny Miller last week in St.Augustine FL.who was one of the people Don Aronow had on his payroll from Thunder-Bird till Cary.I presented all know facts on the Magnum that Tom is working on and he has agreed that it is most likely correctly titled as # 1. The boat has an invoice date of 7/17/1975 to Apeco Marina Chicago who owned Magnum at that time.It most likely it was built around 10/1973 which would not be uncommon seeing they would have used it as a display model.Sonny indicated the 1st Maltese pulled was Tangerine in color Tom,I will try to get a letter from Magnum to that effect. Congratulation...Bud
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TMITCHELL
Ok, recent news has caused a few changes to take place. The biggest one, it will be orange again. The next decision, re-gel it or awlgrip it. I have never shot gel, but done a couple of awlgrip jobs. Soon as I get all of the glass work finalized that bridge will be crossed.

I hear that shooting gel now with Duratec makes it much easier. Jeff H did the bottom of his Donzi & now his Magnums engine hatch. I'm sure he will chime in, or send him a PM.
Mark
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

I deal with Sea-Hawk Paints and they have come out with a line of gel coats that follow the Awl grip color chart. They come packaged complete, hardner and wax in the proper quantities. Trying to get a 2.4 nozzle for my gun now. going to give it a try on the engine hatch to see how it goes.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
If your hull is #1 the one listed as #1 is Tangerine in color & may be yours. This one has a invoice date of 7/17/75. That may explain why no race evidence of a race boat, as my pic is from around December of 1973. You can see there are two Maltese's in that pic from 1973. Magnum may have raced there first Maltese, then rehabbed it back to stock & sold it in 1975 ???
As a side note hull # 5 was this White Maltese that was raced as DAMN YANKEE out of Emerald City. It too had a 1975 invoice date & was sold as a race boat, yet that pic is from 1974. From what I heard Magnum wanted these early Maltese's out there racing to boost there sales as a race boat & a Mag with a useable cabin.. Mark
My dad's race boat was hull 28-43 delivered to Maximo Moorings Marina in St. Pete. Won the 1975 APBA Production II national title and set the kilo record at 63.737mph in Marina Del Ray, CA. I've been looking for the boat for years to no avail.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mike A.
My dad's race boat was hull 28-43 delivered to Maximo Moorings Marina in St. Pete. Won the 1975 APBA Production II national title and set the kilo record at 63.737mph in Marina Del Ray, CA. I've been looking for the boat for years to no avail.
Mike I feel you pain I to have been looking for my old race sport that was the Damn Yankee, SHOWDOWN & COME AGAIN. with no luck. There was a red & White Maltese that was raced by local racer Dave Feder called Bee HAVEN M-8. Unfortunately this Maltese had some delamination problems & It was sold, & I lost track of it. Here is a pic of it from a Lake St Clair race around 1979, could it be your Dads Mag??? Someone here on OSO may remember it ... Mark
Attached Thumbnails 74 Maltese-anaconda-conspiracy.bmp   74 Maltese-mag-maltese-friends.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Mark,

I remember the Damn Yankee 27' Sport. We raced against it in and a purple Sport named Lil' Chip A Dee (?) in Pt. Pleasant and won, then got drubbed a few weeks later in Sandusky, OH. Everyone protested each other too! What a mess. As a result, we went West to Marina Del Ray and San Francisco, won both races and the 1975 National Title.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

I actually have a picture of the Damn Yankee Sport, P-222, docked next to the Wolverine Sport, and the 40' Cig Bounty Hunter. Lemme know if that's yours and I'll email it to you.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mike A.
I actually have a picture of the Damn Yankee Sport, P-222, docked next to the Wolverine Sport, and the 40' Cig Bounty Hunter. Lemme know if that's yours and I'll email it to you.
Yes thats my race Mag when Danny had it new back in 1975-6. I had her from 1981 to 1986. Here is a pic from when Danny had it.. Danny would later own the Seminole Spirit Spirit. Mag, & a pic as I raced it as P-88 BELIEVE It.
Attached Thumbnails 74 Maltese-mag-7hk.jpg   74 Maltese-magnum-believe-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.