Best Prop for Sedan Holman-Moody Combo >

Best Prop for Sedan Holman-Moody Combo

Notices

Best Prop for Sedan Holman-Moody Combo

Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Prop for Sedan Holman-Moody Combo

Hi every one, I own Sedan #100 equipped with the original Holman-Moody package. I re-did the 302s’ and re-sealed the 270s' outdrives. Props are the original Ellis re-pitched 20 and pin in the last hole. Love the boat, however, after reaching cruising speed, 29-32 MPH at 2900-3200 RPM it start to bury the nose. I am looking for some help regarding experience with propellers that lifts the bow.

HectorP
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Hello moc353. I have a sedan and have been around the magnum seen for 40 plus years. First I need to ask, I'm not thinking your 270 drives have power trim. If not you most likely have a series of holes with a removable pin that sets the drive angle. It seems to me the pin has the drive to far tucked in. This would make the boat dive in the bow so take a look and if the pin is in one of the holes closest to the stern, move it to the middle and try it again. Let me know how you make out.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Stock Mags with Volvo drives & 302 H & M engines came with Nibrow props, I would start with 14x21p. Mags with 350 Chevy's had Nibrow15x23p. Jeff has use my14x21 props on his sport finding his Chevy 355cu 320hp engines spun them up a little to much but cruised OK.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am in the last pin out (max trim). I am looking for some other newer prop arrangement/experience that lift the bow.

I may machine and press the 17 spline hub in a couple of Mirages.

Hectorp
Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

I actually took a pair of bronze props and a machinist friend of mine cut the blades off and made me a set of hubs to fit mercury props. I ran my sedan with the mirage and bravo,'s I think I have the hubs and would be happy to get them to you if it helps. Let me know and I will take a look and get t hem to you. .
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Volvo Prop Hubs

I'm running a set of 23 pitch Mirage props on my sport with Volvo drives that are raised 3" , they work great.. My sports Volvo drives have Hill marine Merc prop shafts that are no longer available. Jeff & I have been looking into this prop problem as we have found that the Solas stainless props are not the answer. I tried Jeff's 21 p Solas props on my twin engine Volvo Donzi Doral & they worked better than the Nibrow props but not enuff with the raised drives. Last summer we looked into finding a way to broach Merc mirage props out to a 17 spline but there is not enuff material to do this as you could with the old Merc cleavers. Broaching stainless props today also kills the tooling & would cost $$$$$$$$$. If you want a set of Solas 21p props I'm sure Jeff will sell his like new set for a good price. Right now I'm working with a hub manufacture who will make me a reasonably priced hub to work with the Volvo drives & the new props that are out there & should be available next summer after we test them in the spring of 2014. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Best Prop for Sedan Holman-Moody Combo-volvo-prop-hub-80_l1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Jtilt thanks for the information and offer, most definitively I am interested in trying those hubs. Once they are located please advice, I will pm with my information. Hectorp
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

It appears that by design Sedans’ are heavier in the nose than the other sport models, plus my carries and air conditioner and a 15 gls fresh water tank under the v bed, and the standard head. However, given the numerous high performance props available today, I think a balance match can be accomplished. My preliminary research and measuring points towards some blade area coupled with aggressive rake. How does Solas compare? Thanks. HectorP