Notices

Starfire Herringbone bracing

Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starfire Herringbone bracing

Hi all
As you may already know someone who frequents this forum, I had some problems with some herringbone bracing that the previous owner had installed in the engine compartment of my Starfire
To repair the rift of some of them, I had to make the new engine just fitted and restore the original spars which had been cut to allow the installation of large motors
Someone claimed that many 27 come with herringbone bracing, but my old one mounted in that way had no reason to exist since it settled at Central and lateral spars
Attached new spars pics

Giovanni
Attached Thumbnails Starfire Herringbone bracing-image.jpg   Starfire Herringbone bracing-image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I think you added the best stiffener for the engine bay.............Marshall has the same stringer in his Starfire....I added one in mime as well!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517349[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517350[/ATTACH] and these are cracked before
Attached Thumbnails Starfire Herringbone bracing-image.jpg   Starfire Herringbone bracing-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our friend from Italy has asked a question on how many of you have seen Herringbone bracing in the engine bay Also feel the way he ran the additional other lateral stringers is a good move.

Giovanni, has the racing mounts arrived from Giancarlo?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Our friend from Italy has asked a question on how many of you have seen Herringbone bracing in the engine bay Also feel the way he ran the additional other lateral stringers is a good move.

Giovanni, has the racing mounts arrived from Giancarlo?
No Bud
They haven't,he told me going to send me but still waiting
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by giocariello@gmai
Hi all
As you may already know someone who frequents this forum, I had some problems with some herringbone bracing that the previous owner had installed in the engine compartment of my Starfire
To repair the rift of some of them, I had to make the new engine just fitted and restore the original spars which had been cut to allow the installation of large motors
Someone claimed that many 27 come with herringbone bracing, but my old one mounted in that way had no reason to exist since it settled at Central and lateral spars
Attached new spars pics

Giovanni
I can only speak from my experience with sports & sedans built from the factory that I have seen. All the ones I have owned did not have any factory bracing until they were raced than they added bracing. I added bracing to my sport just like what I had in my old race magnum sport that Emerald City had reworked. I know that my sedan engine bay floor flexes a lot when you stand on it, so I will add some bracing to the sedans floor just like I did to my sport. The pic with the black bilge is the floor of my old race Mirage, that's how Mirage built there boats. The other pic's are my bilge before & after.
Attached Thumbnails Starfire Herringbone bracing-mag-resto-fall-2011-008811.jpg   Starfire Herringbone bracing-mag-bildg-13-h2o.jpg   Starfire Herringbone bracing-mirage-p1010137.jpg  

Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for your explanation
This confirms that the bracing that I had in my engine bay made no sense because it was not attached to the spars and now i feel more quiet after restoring the original configuration
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Question to you Magnum people ...how many have seen herringbone bracing and are sure it came from the factory that way,???
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517715[/ATTACH]Gio,
I'm not exactly sure what information you are asking for. From the first picture you posted I would say that you improved the strength of the bottom but the added stringer looks too short to me to be optimal. Its the height of the stringers that helps to prevent the bottom from flexing. If you have not installed your motors, I would add to the height of the new spars. Yours appear to be only 1" tall, If you can see in the picture I attached, mine are bout 3" tall if you have the clearance with your engine oil pan. I do not believe any of the strips or herringbone reinforcing pictured above was done at the Magnum factory.

- Marshall
Attached Thumbnails Starfire Herringbone bracing-magresto.jan31-004.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ok we are going to resolve the question on herringbone bracing installed or not installed at the factory. Just spent the last hr. talking to Billy Martin of Bounty Hunter fame and also Roger Munn who were the all time winning drivers for Magnum .They both confirmed that the herringbone bracing was installed at the factory on every race boat built.Even with that stiffing process the bottem flexed and the bracing woud crack or come loose and separate from the floor. The additional lateral bracing was not factory installed.
Giovanni the Starfire you have is exactly how it came from the factory, nothing was cut down. Billy also stated you need to install the race mounts for the Starfire to secure the engines properly. Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.