Help on a document please

Notices

Help on a document please

Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help on a document please

I know that this not directly related to 'Magnum Marine' but I posted a request for help in the general boating discussion section but have not received any response so could any of my Magnum friends help me out please.

My original engine rebuild for my 27 sport was based on using as many of the parts which came with the boat as I could and my request to the then engine builder was "Will you re-build these please" Sure he said and I got just what I asked for, good, bad or indifferent.

What I should have asked was, are these parts worth re-building from and that would have been a very different answer.

So now I get the benefit of being able to pay twice ! Aint I lucky ?

Now I have moved to the opposite end of the engine builder scale of 'only the best is good enough or I wont build them' approach.

With the size of the bill and the parts which we have purchased I am sure that these engines will be GREAT but because everything but everything is now new,they are so far removed from their GM origins with Dart SHP Blocks

and heads to the Comp Hydraulic roller cam with Harland Sharp rocker arms on 7/16" studs.Plus Eagle forged steel cranks and rods and ARP everything etc I want to find a Blank Custom Build Engine Sheet on which to record all

of the parts and build specification, type of bearings, clearances. ring types and gaps, gasket details and so on.

Can anyone help me out with such a document please in order that these 'Sea mongrels' can at least obtain some sort of pedigree.

I would much appreciate anyone's help please.

KALAAZAR

Last edited by Kalaazar; 02-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the Sea Giraffe needs to work on this because with no boats to work on this winter he cutting holes in his homes floors just for something to do.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well at least when he is done he will able to stand up indoors which should make a nice change.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Well at least when he is done he will able to stand up indoors which should make a nice change.
I have what you need Squire. In Excel form.
Let me round it up. I'll have to thaw myself out before I can move about.

"Sea Giraffe"
Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I say old boy, what a splendid chap you are. I will have to see if I could arrange to send a couple of boy scouts round to rub two sticks together and light you a fire.

Must get back to the tea and crumpets now, look forward to hearing from you when you are ready

Tally Ho and all that. Bet you wish that you were still part of the Empire.

Kalaazar
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kalaazar,

You're engine build sounds very much like my own twin engines . . . I also used DART blocks and Eagle rotating hardware, a custom set of Comp Cams I went with AFR Heads that I sent to DART Coatings for full inside and outside coating . .
One tid bit. . Eagle makes two different crankshaft designs for the SBC application . .I went with stroker cranks. Eagle drills their cranks two different ways and one way will not give you enough lubrication for sustained high rpm running! Unfortunately my engine builder passed away after we created the "recipe" . . but I have the part number of what I first ordered and what we exchanged for.

Possibly Sea Giraffe can attach the PDF here, I to would like to document what I built vs just a notebook full of receipts.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Mario,

Mine are also stroker cranks with the two part rear seal plus the 270 deg oil groove coated bearings feed by high pressure, high flow Melling oil pumps, so hopefully that will do it. As you say it would be great to be able to list the

full build details on one file against your build notes as you go, which is just what I want to do.

So over to Jeff, assuming that I haven`t upset him to much. We will have to see what happens.

Kalaazar
Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ian, you could always go back to the original ,original...photos attached. Bud[ATTACH=CONFIG]517961[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517963[/ATTACH]

When Bob built the 383's for the new owner of the my old Magnum Race boat...the best of the best, partially dressed ran around $18,000 for the pair.I will see if he has the build sheet on them and what they were producing.
You also might want to check out OSO for small block 383;s 425hp from west coast custom $5,000.Also jegs.com for blueprinted 350's-383's anywhere from $4,100-$5,800.Mark Owen from MI. Jeff's good friend knows of some of his good friends who replaced they small blocks in their Magnum .One last possibility Ilmor make some mean small blocks MV8 5.73L,they are expensive..Let us know what happens. Bud
Attached Thumbnails Help on a document please-20120521_143846.jpg   Help on a document please-img_1012.jpg   Help on a document please-8-2-2007-105.jpg  

Last edited by mr vinyl; 02-04-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Bud,

Thank you for joining in, appreciated.

I might not have made it clear in my request in so as the selection of the parts and their purchase has already been made. In the first place what I was looking for was a paper build sheet on the bench on which to record all of the

build details size by size torque settings clearance's, valve shim thickness, spring loadings etc. Then on completion of each section of the build would be transferred to a spread sheet for longer term storage.

However since putting out my request I have received 3 PM`s with just what I need, Many thanks to those who contributed, it was a great help and will be extremely useful.

Hopefully soon I will be able to post some pictures of the new BHP motors Custom build by Mike Bontoft ( Bontoft High Performance) who now lives in the UK and just opened his new engine shop here in Poole. Mike who trained

under and who worked for some of the all time Offshore Greats built his own engines for the 35` " DRY MARTINI" and has run 3 Cowes- Torquay- Cowes Races back to back ( the last two being driven by my son RATMAN 72)

with only an oil change and a wipe down with a damp cloth in between. Given that he has pulled that off and those engines are still in great running order and ready to go, that`s good enough for me.

"Nothing succeeds like proven success"

KALAAZAR

Last edited by Kalaazar; 02-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.