Prop Rotation

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prop Rotation

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522166[/ATTACH]

Hey guys,

Question to challenge the historians out there. Were the Magnums originally set up to run props turning in or out? We are running twin Chevy's with Volvo 270T's on 28' Maltese. The Volvo's can be changed to rotate either direction by just switching the rods and the props. Also, all original literature says to run drives toed-in quite significantly (props closer together than the nose), any thoughts/experience with experimenting with the tie bar to adjust the angle of the drives?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Prop Rotation-new-canvas-top-09-11-13-003.jpg  

Last edited by JPrusinows; 04-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I hate to even answer since I know nothing about your boat but I hate to see un answered threads!

Beautiful boat man!

I personally prefer to spin my props OUT. The boat handles better at speed and docks better. The die hard BAJA guys claim 1-2 mph on the top end when spinning in but not worth it to me.

The very knowledgeable T2X has a post on here in the "great moments of Cat history" about how ALL boats should spin the props out due to safety. Rich seems like a great buy and prob knows a lot about your boat I would send him a PM.

Reggie Fountain claims ALL drives should be TOED IN meaning the NOSE CONES CLOSER together then the props. When you look at your wake the water exits in a V pattern off your hull. I have tried my drives each direction and the boat seems to like the nose cones closer together.

Sorry if I was not much help.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Jeff when our Magnums [ early 70's ] were built the choice of props was limited, aluminum or Nibral. The hot set up back then was Nibral props with cupping turning them outward. I have run Solas & Michigan stainless props on my Donzi Doral with Volvo drives turning them outward, both sets ran about the same speed wise [55mph]. This year I plan to try some Nibral props I have in my collection. My Doral is powered with twin 350cu 300hp small blocks and runs speed wise about what a stock Volvo 27' Magnum would run so there might to be some value to my prop test results. In the past I have not seen any real advantage with toeing the drives in @ speeds of 55mph, the speed these boats ran back then. If your Magnum runs around 60mph you on the right track. Here is that speed chart from 1976 showing real speeds from back in the day. My old race Mag SHOWDOWN ran the fastest speed that day in the stock P class @ 65mph with the Trs 280 engine package that may not have been totally stock ? The Hot Knotts 26' Volvo Cary had 350 Chevy engines pushed to the limit for stock class & it ran 57mph. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Prop Rotation-cc-speed-chart-1-h2o.jpg