Ignition switch question >

Ignition switch question

Notices

Ignition switch question

Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch question

I have been cleaning up the wiring on my Maltese and I have something wrong. My ignition switches are not turning the engines off. Everything else seems to be fine but when I turn the key off, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likely there is something connected to the "ignition" side of the switch that is feeding back voltage.

You should probably start with the basics.

1. Disconnect the wires from the ignition switches then use an ohm meter or continuity tester to confirm that the switch is working as it should.
2. While the wires are disconnected from the switch check the wire on the positive side of the engine coil to see if there is any voltage present. If there is you will have to track down where it's coming from.
3. If there is more than one wire on the "ignition" terminal of the switch remove all but the wire feeding the engine coil then test.

Good luck...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.

I have the (B) going to the parallel switch, and the ( I ) on the amp meter ( S ) is going to starter and ( I ) is going to the ( I ) on the oil pressure meter I believe that is how it was hooked up.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbroadjumper
Thanks for the response.

I have the (B) going to the parallel switch, and the ( I ) on the amp meter ( S ) is going to starter and ( I ) is going to the ( I ) on the oil pressure meter I believe that is how it was hooked up.
Do you have a hot lead running from the starter to the + on the coil ? Something is feeding power to the coil, if you have a point type ignition??? You also may have a hot lead in the dash feeding back to the ignition after the key switch. Get a test light out or volt meter a ring them out.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the problem is with the ignition switch's connection to the ammeter.

With the ignition switch in the off position there should be voltage at the "B" terminal but not at the "I" terminal or at the "+" terminal on the ignition coil. If there is voltage present on the "I" & "+" terminals while the key is off it is definitely feeding back. There are two things you could try:
1. Disconnect the wire going from the ignition switch "I" terminal to the ammeter "I" terminal. If there is a second wire on the "I" terminal at the ammeter disconnect it as well and connect it to the wire from the ignition switch by taping them together or something. Then test the switch operation.
2. Disconnect the wire from the "I" terminal on the ignition switch then run a dedicated test wire from the "I" terminal on the ignition switch to the "+" side of the ignition coil. Then test the switch operation.

If either of these work ok it would prove that the ammeter is where the problem lies.