Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro... >

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Notices

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by murfman
I was considering that, but I thought half the reason for going hydraulic was to eliminate the flex of the helmet, or am I over thinking it?

I do plan on running a swim platform as well and realize real estate on the transom is getting eaten up
Quickly with the drives, tabs, exhaust, steering etc...
It all depends on how hard are you going to run it ? Yes twin rams externally is the best, but I would leave the mechanical steering on my sedan as it ran like that for many years. Scott who use to own my sedan said there was not to much steering wheel torque, but on my Donzi Doral there is way to much wheel torque for my liking when just cruising. My 24' Cobra [SMIDGEN TOO ] that was raced has the single ram Hynautic system connected internally to the twine Volvo drives , works great. My sedan not going to set any speed records as it will be manly used for fishing & easy cruising were a cabin is useful. I had swimmers grab the hydraulic lines in the past as they climb aboard the swim platform, not good.. I like to keep all hydraulic lines out of sight.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by h2oboater
It all depends on how hard are you going to run it ? Yes twin rams externally is the best, but I would leave the mechanical steering on my sedan as it ran like that for many years. Scott who use to own my sedan said there was not to much steering wheel torque, but on my Donzi Doral there is way to much wheel torque for my liking when just cruising. My 24' Cobra [SMIDGEN TOO ] that was raced has the single ram Hynautic system connected internally to the twine Volvo drives , works great. My sedan not going to set any speed records as it will be manly used for fishing & easy cruising were a cabin is useful. I had swimmers grab the hydraulic lines in the past as they climb aboard the swim platform, not good.. I like to keep all hydraulic lines out of sight.
You are absolutely correct. I tend to overthink things and go overkill. I can always move the rams later if I feel I need to. Hell it will save me 300$ in thru hull fittings and plumbing keeping them inside
Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Registered

So I found a set of NOS Teak step plates for cheap but they had a little shelf wear, I fixed that:

And a sneak preview of KiekhaeferZero Efforts:

The Devil is in the details...
Old 03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Registered

closer...
Old 03-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome progress on the resto, it's obvious this lucky Mag found the right owner.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Robert your going to need a good pair of sunglasses when operating your sedan, as it has BLING!!! Nice workmanship !!!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Registered

Got the throttles back together. Need some longer screws for the trim switch and I need to black out the Formula name. They came out nice than I expected, considering what I started with.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Robert just came acrossed this Volvo drive pic with external steering, looks like you need these wing plates if you mount the cylinders outside. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro...-volvo-dp-d11.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And that was what I attempted to describe some time ago on this forum and exactly what we were racing with Offshore back in the1970`s. Very simple and highly effective.

Kalaazar
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Registered

That is the best picture I've seen so far, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.