Update On Powder Keg >

Update On Powder Keg

Notices

Update On Powder Keg

Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scippy,
As I recall you also have lowered the floor in your boat.
I've been successful at lowering the floor in mine a complete 5 inches. To achieve that my floor intersects with the hull directly below the gunwale.
I will be using the frames from Baja and great lakes skipper. I intend to build the bolsters with very minimal padding on the outside to keep them as narrow as possible.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
it is a daunting task to find a bolster that works in a Sport Mag, narrow cockpit and shallow freeboard make it tough. Thats why I'm going PPI full sit down, i just never saw any bolster that looked like you werent hangin out in the wind.

Got it like five or six years ago or so, theres a thread somewhere. I havnt done anything but round up parts, running Arnesons and LS's. Just about ready to start grinding/sanding. It is going to be a full sit down boat with console between the seats like a mini Gladiator. I have a twenty Cig to finish before i dig into this thing

Dave, These Magnums are like the custom cycles of offshore. I like that Gladiator, Phantom look. I am doing a sit down 3 man bolster center steer with my sport. The main look I am aiming for though is to have the top of the bolster stay low profile, flush to the sides of the fairing. Also to have the engine hatch flush with the top of the back deck and end up at the back of the bolster. The rest of the hull and bow close to stock.

My friend that I restore with is restoring two of the 20 Cig's. He just picked up the black one from Toledo. He put the Cig's in front of the Mag also.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

This one with orange interior is on Miami craigslist , looks like a decent job. The white one is mine from 1990 . It felt comfy and safe with 6" thick seat bottoms ( 3" soft foam + 3" high density foam ). Even though I like standing , Magnum stand up bolsters make you look and feel like your on a surfboard ! My seat bottoms only came forward about 12" so you could use your legs to plant yourself in to the bolster ( footrest at 45degree angle at cabin bulkhead ) .HAVE FUN !
Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by legend
Dave, These Magnums are like the custom cycles of offshore. I like that Gladiator, Phantom look. I am doing a sit down 3 man bolster center steer with my sport. The main look I am aiming for though is to have the top of the bolster stay low profile, flush to the sides of the fairing. Also to have the engine hatch flush with the top of the back deck and end up at the back of the bolster. The rest of the hull and bow close to stock.

My friend that I restore with is restoring two of the 20 Cig's. He just picked up the black one from Toledo. He put the Cig's in front of the Mag also.

cool, I am keeping the deck pretty much OEM but highly refined . . . . like this boat in the thread, but I may sweep the lifeline stanchions back like the ones on some of the 24 Cigs. I will also build an integrated rear bench and hatch that all swings up for easy engine access
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.