Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
from 180` under back to riding over the waves. >

from 180` under back to riding over the waves.

Notices

from 180` under back to riding over the waves.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default from 180` under back to riding over the waves.

Whilst looking for some old race boat picture for my son I found these in my archive from the early `70`s

This is Don`s original Magnum Tornado last of the twin Vee drive boats with high top side and vertical transom.

This is the boat which sank in the English channel (which I later recovered) during 1968 Cowes Torquay Cowes race due to the delamination of the bond of the ballast tank top to the topside and filled herself up during a very hard race.

Zero structural damage was obvious, it took us ages to find the problem because the joint sprung back and could only be found when the tank was under pressure

The pictures show the transition from flat deck class 1 race boat to UK cruiser class, even showing the first mock up of the new wind shield.

The other picture shows the boat at the end of a race sporting it`s new deck line extension due to a later rule change in required cabin volume. ( don`t you just love rule changes after you`ve built the thing ?)

I hope you all enjoy.

Kalaazar
Attached Thumbnails from 180` under back to riding over the waves.-000011.jpg   from 180` under back to riding over the waves.-000012.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Ian you sure can work the MAGIC on rebuilding a hull...
Old 05-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Mark, that's a very generous comment thank you coming from a man who could do and has done the same for many years

All the best

Ian
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ian,
Tell us about the dolphin logo on the side.
I sure wish you still had that boat. I know, I know you sold it to buy a house and start a family blah blah blah boring!

Let's have a pic of that 40' Cig model you have stashed away in the shed.

Yankee Doodle
Old 05-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeff,

We have a budget opticians over here in the UK "Specsavers" next time your over get me to make an appointment for you. I think another +3.5 ought to do it.

It`s not a Dolphin numb nuts it a SHARK and my boat range from years ago we used to call the Tolcraft Sharks. Back then we called it marketing !!!!!

But clearly given the current state of my bank balance it didn't work!

Ian

PS I don`t need reminding again that I should not have sold "Magnum Tornado" back then, I get enough of that from my son or has he put you up to this or are you two working as a pair now ??

Last edited by Kalaazar; 05-21-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Registered

Dolphin, shark it's all fishing net fodder. I saw the same decal on Mrs. Speed bird, a fine Tolcraft product.
The construction company on the side of that skip in the picture is still in business. How interesting.
Where was that picture taken?

How about a picture of the Cig model.
Will any part of the eye exam be covered by the NHS or do I need to sneak over from Calais for them to cover it?

What say you?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The construction yard is where we used to have a factory back in the late `60.s early `70.s That picture was taken around `70/71.

Mrs Speedbird is in fact "Miss Speedbird" When I rebuilt the Magnum I sold that boat to Locally based BOAC Flight engineer who requested from his

employer if he could use the name and their emblem being British Overseas Airways Company property.

Do you think that I would dare to show a model of a Cigarette on the Magnum site, are you trying to have me banned ?

As for your eye examination, I could not possibly comment for fear of disclosing a potential state secret that could perhaps be far to close to the truth !!!

Is what I say.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Registered

Have you had Sidewinder out yet?