Notices

Prop rotation on 27 Sport

Old 10-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Mark,
It`s now official, the Ice Man has run his steely eye over your pictures and SideWinders dimensions and the Bravo`s on SideWinder are ----------------------
An 1" further up and 1" closer together and as a result -------------------- We don`t know where we are.

Worst still although we have tried all of these prop options he ask " are they all stock or have they ever been worked?" so now the plan is to send them all to the prop shop to have them measured and then see what sense it all makes.

Right now I`m thinking, now we are applying logic and getting into the science of it all. So when do you want him back ? and I can get back to screwing

around in blissful ignorance of what it might be rather than what it is. Great guy though, make a fantastic bilge cleaner !!
Ian when Jeff comes back to Michigan we are going to cut the transom on Bill's restored Donzi Spitfire for Trs drives, by then he should be a expert on setting up drive height.
Bill's 383cu Crockett engines make great power & torque & should be able to use the 24p 4blade Bravo props that the Magnum uses, we hope.
Attached Thumbnails Prop rotation on 27 Sport-sam_0708.jpg   Prop rotation on 27 Sport-sam_0710.jpg   Prop rotation on 27 Sport-sam_0716.jpg  

Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You boy`s are having way too much fun, I`m sorry I can`t join in but the commute is a bit to long. Enjoy.

Ian
Old 10-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Marshall, great information, thank you and your are correct. On the Bravo 1 centreline with the drive set parallel to the line of the hull the drive are in fact 5" up.
My 14" 3 blade x 26" pitch Spinelli`s work very well, on the plane at 2800 rpm without ant tab.
However at full throttle and only a light fuel load the engine will pull 5900 rpm which is pointless.
I am all for having the propellers reworked to 28" pitch but my son wants me to leave them alone because they work so well now "so don`t spoil them" quote.
But I am tempted.
Ian
Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marshall,

Nice post, well written! #30 I now need to take this info and make it correspond to my Volvo drives, which are on a 29" center to center. I to experienced the performance that Ian had, high speed and great acceleration in the midrange and cavitation coming out of the hole.

Mario L.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian I will let you try this prop, it should give you 0 slip but dont tell Jeff. I got this good deal on ebay, it did not look this big in the ebay posting. No wonder the shipping cost was so much.
Attached Thumbnails Prop rotation on 27 Sport-mag-prop-1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mark, that perfect and your "help" is appreciated. However I still think that a little more cup might be needed. When`s it coming ? and don`t forget to send the spanner please, given that the prop "nut" is already here !

Ian

Last edited by Kalaazar; 10-28-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prop Rotation,
Well we kind of got off the subject, but was fun to watch. However finally I have the answer, outwards is best, on my boat anyway. Maneuvering for docking is a ton better. On plane the nose will level off and cut thru the waves when choppy. Before the first wave was ok but it sent the bow up and then the next few waves pounded. Now it just stays down and the ride is much improved. At 40 years old I don't want to beat it to death. That being said, it's also 2 to 3 MPH faster. :-)
The only negative is that while getting on plane, there is some cavitation or slip. Not too bad but there was none before when turning the props inward.
Einar
Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by viking60
Prop Rotation,
Well we kind of got off the subject, but was fun to watch. However finally I have the answer, outwards is best, on my boat anyway. Maneuvering for docking is a ton better. On plane the nose will level off and cut thru the waves when choppy. Before the first wave was ok but it sent the bow up and then the next few waves pounded. Now it just stays down and the ride is much improved. At 40 years old I don't want to beat it to death. That being said, it's also 2 to 3 MPH faster. :-)
The only negative is that while getting on plane, there is some cavitation or slip. Not too bad but there was none before when turning the props inward.
Einar
Good to hear turning props outward worked for you, any other updates on your Sport??
Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi h2o, thanks. Well mostly just getting everything working again. Replaced the trim indicator cables, replaced the speedo pickup. However I need a deeper pickup. When the previous owner replaced the transom, he never replaced the pickup. I'm in the process of making some custom teak step pads. I'd like to do more but now is the time to have fun with it.

Einar