Notices

engine dyno

Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a video section and not the beware section, sorry to steal any thunder from the guy who started the thread,BUT. Yeah, it is amazing how hard it is to get a hold of Leon once you have a problem. "He's outside with a customer",or "He's lake tuning a boat", or "He's sick today". Yeah I heard them all. Didn't return my calls either until I said I was going to call a lawyer. But I am sure he is a pro at dealing with that by now with all of his dealings. I guess I should just get my $400.00 in spare impeller pumps and run...Mike
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
I found out that they (Derebery) didn't install the splash shield/windage tray, under the intake that caused oil from the cam to splash into the PCV valve(Leon said it didn't have one when he got it so he didn't install one during the assembly-a $40 part on a $17k motor-hmmm).
Did you ask him why a guy that had been building engines for as long as he has would miss a pretty standard issue like that since all the engines of that generation had these trays in them. I don't remember if the 575 was a genV or VI, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been the first one of that generation that he took apart or put together.

Wether it came that way or not, wouldn't you think that if the other one had it in there, it should have thrown up a red flag.

That stuff just pisses me off.

I make mistakes also, but my customers will tell you that I try or do make it right the best that I can. I once gave a guy a HUGE refund on the labor and more, because of a mistake that I had made, and let him keep all of the stuff and bought him a bunch of brand new parts. Lost my azz on that deal.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I know this doesent belong here, sorry.

But shouldent that boat still be faster then 1+ MPH with 180 HP more ????????

Let me tell you about my boat ,had the same thing .

Come to find out we mistacenlty changed gearset wrong.

Just a quess ??!!

Wonder how much RPM and what prop and which gear ratio.Dyno sheet said itran up to 6500 rpm. I put a 23 mirage on it and barely got 5300 rpm. Went from running normally a 25 Mirage to a 27 mirage. 25 mirage turned 5000 rpm and a 27 turned 4800 rpm with 1.50 gears. I will tell you who actually knows all about it. Julie at Throttle Up. She went out of her way to try to help me get the boat to run...VERY nice lady. Leons motor was a piece or S**t.

To only make it go 1 MPH faster !

Yes-Sir...you are correct...with 180 more CLAIMED HP that Leon says that I had...I figure...and others...I should have at least run 80. Pure fact...Leon lied and he got caught. Did I go to the law...No...I prefer to handle it myself. I dont screw people and I wont tolerate being screwed. I will meet up with Leon one of these days and then it will be GAME ON.

For the guy that is getting his motors done by Leon. If your boat doesnt run right...you got screwed. I will bet...with odds...he pulled the same crap with him...fudge the numbers to get a higher HP reading on the dyno sheet. The guys at R & H showed me how to do it...I can dyno those motors for you and show that they put out 2000 HP each...with a single carb and no blower. Can I get an AMEN here...or what??

Last edited by pslonaker; 10-24-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

To be clear here, Leon didn't build my engines I am having my boat rigged there. Leon Dynoed them. I thought the numbers were a tad low if anything.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They all suck you need to do everything yourself. 2 years ago I had a machine shop put my bottom end together to save me time. Well that fackfired the dumb A$$ did not leave enough clearence for the forged pistons and it smoked the rings.

I can't see why rigging dyno numbers would help anything the customer is going to know when he runs his boat by the speed gain or loss.

And the guy with the 454 with 990 hours on it that runs 71where is that engine at I want to stick it in the hall of fame for the longest lasting 454 I ever heard about in a boat. I want to pull that engine apart and see what made it blow up proof.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
They all suck you need to do everything yourself. 2 years ago I had a machine shop put my bottom end together to save me time. Well that fackfired the dumb A$$ did not leave enough clearence for the forged pistons and it smoked the rings.

I pulled the motor I got from Dingle-Berry (Dereberry) and tossed it in the garage, then went to Reher & Morrison and bought all my parts for a motor and had them do all the machine work. I could not be happier if I tried. Got the motor together and carried it back for a dyno and was very surprised...not to mention happy. I did it myself...asked for and got straight up advice without redicule from the people at R & M and you can see from the dyno sheet..the motor made REAL power and for several thousand dollars LESS than what Leon Dereberry RIPPED me off for

I can't see why rigging dyno numbers would help anything the customer is going to know when he runs his boat by the speed gain or loss.

Fudging the numbers will eventually get you caught, but then what are you going to do about it. Fudging the numbers makes the motor builder look sweet...and you John Q. Customer are bouncing up and down with joy. The motor builder has your money and a prescribtion bottle full of excuses.

And the guy with the 454 with 990 hours on it that runs 71where is that engine at I want to stick it in the hall of fame for the longest lasting 454 I ever heard about in a boat. I want to pull that engine apart and see what made it blow up proof.
I can arrange for you to get that 990 hour 454 if you really want it. It is still running and currently lives in a 1985 Corvette. The guy doesnt hot rod it...just drives it. When I had it in my boat, I didnt run it in the ground all the time. Actually very seldom did the WOT thing, but it was a great motor and the ONLY thing done to it was a cam, intake, carb & head change

Last edited by pslonaker; 07-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

I hope he takes better care of you than he did me. I bought a pair of 575sci motors from him last August that he rebuilt from the ground up to match (blowers and all)-(took 3 months to build). Starboard side would stall so I had to send the computer back to him to have reprogrammed and install a new engine harness(2 months down time), the the port motor burned 5 qts of oil in the first 5 hrs of running. I found out that they (Derebery) didn't install the splash shield/windage tray, under the intake that caused oil from the cam to splash into the PCV valve(Leon said it didn't have one when he got it so he didn't install one during the assembly-a $40 part on a $17k motor-hmmm). I Got that fixed ,(another $1500 for diagnosis/parts/labor at Absolute speed and Marine in Havasu- 2 months down time) . Now last week the starboard blower rear plate came loose and locked up the blower with 23 hrs on it. Mooneyham in Upland Ca. said "whoever assembled the blower didn't tighten the bolts for the rear plate or the retainer bolts for the front bearings (3 of 6 loosened up completly and were dragging on the drive gears)"down another month.Now that being said, Leon said the blowers were subleted out so technically it's failure is not his fault, and after a year, not his responsibility, BUT his decision to use whoever to build the blower kind of lies on his shoulders, and I've had the boat for for 17 months and it was down for repair for 8 months due to them. I am left with the feeling I should have used a local builder and would have better recourse and/or success...Sorry for the rant..Happy boating.M
you should post this in GD OR BS SECTION thats bull he is responseable for that blower when he got it back his guys should have given it the once over and on the pan thats just STUPID SO ITS WRONG SO LETS KEEP IT WRONG, I have given up around me and am having DEAN GELLENER MR HORSEPOWER on OSO rebuild a blower motor that was new but a mess that I bought to be my dream motor 572 1000 plus hp to put my mod baja over 100mph . that sc motor should scream I have a 509 thats at about 670hp now that with one of DEANS intakes and cam will get me at 700 to 725hp its hdy roller to, my blower is roller with all the best parts well later artie
Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope he takes better care of you than he did me. I bought a pair of 575sci motors from him last August that he rebuilt from the ground up to match (blowers and all)-(took 3 months to build). Starboard side would stall so I had to send the computer back to him to have reprogrammed and install a new engine harness(2 months down time), the the port motor burned 5 qts of oil in the first 5 hrs of running. I found out that they (Derebery) didn't install the splash shield/windage tray, under the intake that caused oil from the cam to splash into the PCV valve(Leon said it didn't have one when he got it so he didn't install one during the assembly-a $40 part on a $17k motor-hmmm). I Got that fixed ,(another $1500 for diagnosis/parts/labor at Absolute speed and Marine in Havasu- 2 months down time) . Now last week the starboard blower rear plate came loose and locked up the blower with 23 hrs on it. Mooneyham in Upland Ca. said "whoever assembled the blower didn't tighten the bolts for the rear plate or the retainer bolts for the front bearings (3 of 6 loosened up completly and were dragging on the drive gears)"down another month.Now that being said, Leon said the blowers were subleted out so technically it's failure is not his fault, and after a year, not his responsibility, BUT his decision to use whoever to build the blower kind of lies on his shoulders, and I've had the boat for for 17 months and it was down for repair for 8 months due to them. I am left with the feeling I should have used a local builder and would have better recourse and/or success...Sorry for the rant..Happy boating.M
Wow sure does'nt sound like the Leon i know ....Sorry to hear about your probs
Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Registered

What's the drive shower extension, never seen that before? Advantages?

Quick Reply: engine dyno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.