Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Multi Media Gallery > Members On-line Video Section!!
sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard >

sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard

Notices

sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard

Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I thought maybe what I posted may be thought provoking and cause somebody either in a race boat or the boat drive shaft business to really look and see what they are using/producing. Apparently this thread is destined to become yet another "he said she said, what if, how about,etc." You are repeating the comments about loading being more in a boat. Ok, fine. The fact remains I said that SFI has numbers. Those numbers have NOTHING to do with weight, load, whatever. I think if it takes "X" amount of force to break something than that's it, period. Hey, it very well could turn out that the drive shaft Miss Gieco was using is stronger than the pro/ stock, pro/mod drive shaft. I doubt it, but why not try and find out. Clearly what was in there needs to be stronger.

What if that drive shaft went down instead of to the side when it broke? The boys from Miss Gieco very well could be swimming and their boat could be a new playground for the local fish. Do a little research is all I'm saying.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, No worries. Its a good conversation.

I'll call some of our pro drag team friends and see of I can get some deeper info. As for our driveshafts. Very strong...Not sufficient quality obviously.

Thanks Mike. always trying to learn.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

benjen - quick question on a Pro Mod or Pro Stock how many runs between u-joints changes? I believe the launch of the car puts more stress on than the prop entering the water but I'm driving at a comparison so if you could humor me with even a guesstimate answer.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMF,,you guys use a angle finder to set up the driveshaft??
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
Ok, I thought maybe what I posted may be thought provoking and cause somebody either in a race boat or the boat drive shaft business to really look and see what they are using/producing. Apparently this thread is destined to become yet another "he said she said, what if, how about,etc." You are repeating the comments about loading being more in a boat. Ok, fine. The fact remains I said that SFI has numbers. Those numbers have NOTHING to do with weight, load, whatever. I think if it takes "X" amount of force to break something than that's it, period. Hey, it very well could turn out that the drive shaft Miss Gieco was using is stronger than the pro/ stock, pro/mod drive shaft. I doubt it, but why not try and find out. Clearly what was in there needs to be stronger.

What if that drive shaft went down instead of to the side when it broke? The boys from Miss Gieco very well could be swimming and their boat could be a new playground for the local fish. Do a little research is all I'm saying.
i think you may have misunderstood my post,all i am saying is that the fatigue rate is different.i dont know what a pro mod car uses for u-joints but im guessing they get changed out a lot due to fatigue,in a boat like the geico race boat they are probibally entering new territory since they went to the 1650 merc engines and will no doubt come up with a schedule for changing driveline parts out before they fatigue to the point of failure.btw,i like to watch pro mod cars run as much as i like watching fuel cars,they are bad azz imo.

Last edited by mike tkach; 04-14-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
benjen - quick question on a Pro Mod or Pro Stock how many runs between u-joints changes? I believe the launch of the car puts more stress on than the prop entering the water but I'm driving at a comparison so if you could humor me with even a guesstimate answer.
Honestly I have no clue. Miss Gieco mentions above that he is going to check with some of his drag race friends. Good. I'm sure they will have some input on a maintenance schedule. I would also think that the drive shaft builders themselves (the link I posted above) have a recommended schedule.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought drag cars ran a slipper clutch?

Great video btw, but I don't think I want a go pro in my engine bay. If something goes I don't want to see it
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've raced Mountain Motor Pro Stock ( 825 Ci motors ) cars, we pull the drive shaft and trans after every run to service the clutch and check u joints and yoke.I never broke one in the Pro stock car but we now are required to have dual loop drive shaft tunnels because when they break it's nasty.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Just a thought, don't know if this will work in a boat application over the course of an hour long race plus test time but in some drag racing applications they use solid crosses, no rifle drilling for grease, you grease the caps and assemble. In a standard joint it is rifled drilled from end to end and then an additional passage is drilled to receive the zerk which makes weak areas?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ksatt
I've raced Mountain Motor Pro Stock ( 825 Ci motors ) cars, we pull the drive shaft and trans after every run to service the clutch and check u joints and yoke.I never broke one in the Pro stock car but we now are required to have dual loop drive shaft tunnels because when they break it's nasty.
How often would you change a u joint 2 runs, 10 runs or 100 runs just trying to get a feel for wear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.