Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July >

Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July

Notices

Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July

Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July

A few of us Potomac River boaters were thinking about coming down to for a long weekend on our boats for the 4th. Been to DC a few times and we're looking for somthing new. Thinking about staying at Salt Ponds. Looks like a pretty nice place for transient slips but I didn't see a ramp listed there.

We would probably be towing down via I95 to I64. Where is a good ramp in the area? The biggest boat in our group is a 38 Sonic which needs a good long ramp and some deep water. Also, we would be leaving our tow rigs there so we need a nicer neighborhood.

We all did the Jammin on the James a few years ago and went to Lynnhaven on Sunday for lunch. Where are some other places to cruise to? Any "must sees"? Where is a good place to see fireworks?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're planning to be as far south as Norfolk Harbor, it'll be a huge party. It's going to be different this 4th of July. Typically, Norfolk's Harborfest is the 1st full weekend in June, but this year it's the 4th of July weekend.

So most marinas and ramps will be crowded. You'll want to make sure you've got reservations. If you want to see some good fireworks, there's not a bad seat in the house if you're anchored in the harbor. Lots of good places to go and things to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
If you're planning to be as far south as Norfolk Harbor, it'll be a huge party. It's going to be different this 4th of July. Typically, Norfolk's Harborfest is the 1st full weekend in June, but this year it's the 4th of July weekend.

So most marinas and ramps will be crowded. You'll want to make sure you've got reservations. If you want to see some good fireworks, there's not a bad seat in the house if you're anchored in the harbor. Lots of good places to go and things to do.
Where is Norfolk Harbor?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
good2go38
VIP Member

Default 4th of JUly

It has been years since I used the ramps in the Norfolk area. Maybe the guys from down there can tell you more about the area. There was a nice ramp at the James River Bridge in Newport News and Portsmouth City park but I don't know how safe your rigs will be over night. Good Luck
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about doing a ride down the Potomac, then down the bay? About 110 miles from the 301 bridge. Jammin is 92 miles
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd recommend launching on the Chickahominy River near Lanexa, VA. It's a hop and a skip down to Hampton Roads from there. The River is FRESH water, and just a nice place to be. ActiveShack here on OSO can tell you which ramps are go/no go for the 38 Sonic.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Joey, if you run down the Potomac and the bay stop in at Smith Point and see us. Plenty of room on the pier to overnight. Pig will be cooking on the 4th!!
Attached Thumbnails Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July-jammin-james-128-1.jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I second spending the night in Norfolk for Harborfest. It's been in June for many years and we've always spent the night on the hook in the Harbor.....rafted with 20+ other boats but hte harbor could have 200-300 or more. Fireworks there have been the best I've ever seen.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like this??
Attached Thumbnails Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July-harborfest-033.jpg   Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July-harborfest-030.jpg  
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Look like this??
I'm at the other end of that raft-up.....2nd or 3rd boat from that end. I don't think I ever made it to your end of the group that whole day!!!!

Were you there about 8:00 pm......girls dancing topless on the brass pole boat!!!!

Quick Reply: Hey HRPA Guys...... 4th of July

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.