Notices

Relocation to VA

Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Relocation to VA

Hello everyone,

I'm currently exploring a career opportunity in Herndon, VA that would require us to relocate from Chicago.

First thing that went through my head is what boating options are available in the area . We sold our 23' bowrider (496ho powered) earlier this year and were going to replace it with a 35-38' powerboat to be out on Lake Michigan. I did some reading here in the forum and it looks like the Potomac river is an option.

The company is planning to fly the wife and I out for a long weekend to investigate the area and work with a real-estate agent to see if the area will be a good fit for us.

Any thoughts / information regarding boating in the area would be greatly appreciated as well as places to live and things to do.

A few details about what we would be looking for:
1. a given: Boat friendly area
2. 600K budget for housing
3. No kids yet, but school district would be important for future
4. We like living in a "big city" environment

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy, 45Sonic lives in the Herndon. I live in Manassas, we both boat in the Potomac. To me their are alot of places to go and things to do. You will need to learn the river, it has it's shallow spots. (not a big deal it is easily learned). Let us know when you come to town.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Not the Great Lakes,......but a lot of boating options. Potomac river is great alot of resturants, and bars from Washington D.C. down to the bay, Patuxent river great to boat on river isnt as long as the Potomac, alot of great places, Veras White Sands, Solomons Island. Then of course their is the Cheseapeake Bay, from Northeast Md, to Norfolk Va. you could go out every weekend and never see the same places. Water not as rough as the Great Lakes, normally 2-4 foot waves, their are alot of places to go and alot to do. Annapolis, Baltimore, just a great place to boat we run everywhere in a 38 Fountain, and do fine. As far as living, probably No. Va fits you needs. Some others will chime in, am not an expert on Northern VA. Traffic is problem know matter where you live. The closer to work you can live the better. Herndon, Chantilly, Sterling, Dulles, are all in that area. Closer to D.C., Alexandria, Arlington, good luck. Hope to see you on the water.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 08-30-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information guys. The company is planning to fly us out on 9/10 to spend the weekend in the area. Time permitting, I hope to make a trip to the river and try to check out a few of the spots I've been reading about.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Did you find a house ? River loops around, the Potomac north of Herndon is only for small boats -anything south of the city is navigatable. You will have to go 25 miles south or just east of Rt 95 to find the river
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by James
Did you find a house ? River loops around, the Potomac north of Herndon is only for small boats -anything south of the city is navigatable. You will have to go 25 miles south or just east of Rt 95 to find the river
Not quite that far along in the process. The company flew us out this past weekend to explore the area. We found several housing options in Reston and Herndon that would work for us. Drove out to Ashburn, but coming from living in Chicago it felt a bit to remote for us (though not completely ruling it out). We looked online at Vienna / Arlington but didnt go look since a similar house to ours in Chicago is about 2x the cost (which eats into my new boat budget ).

Overall we came away with a good feeling about the area, which for both us is an important part of the relocation decision.

Also, thanks to 45Sonic for the chat on Saturday. I'll be in touch when we head back to the area.

Jimmy