Notices

radar shoot

Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to do this same run on saturday morning in August with 10 boats left anchored from the night before, you would have to be ready to run by 07:00 and be done by 10:00 am to beat the heat and have at least a little control of the course and no boat wakes. This stuff is supposed to be fun and zero risk to the public - best time to have it is when the public is not around - stick to an October date - start early in the morning and anyone that get cold can use the prize money to by ear muffs.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
I think it's more the time of year. Oct. in our area can mean anywhere between 80* and 40* with rapidly changing conditions. Then throw in a strong possibility of rain. Plus, the start time of the run, it can be pretty cold at 9:00 am but quite nice by 12:00.
Dave you must be speaking about everyone else. You are usually the first boat I see in the spring and the last boat in the fall Everyone works hard to make this a fun event. Boats from New York and Georgia made the trip.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Mike for place to stay sat night . after a bad wheel bearing we got home in 11 hrs on a 7and a half hour trip, but we will be back. great to see Vinny and Jimmy run that boat ,it looks like they really got it handleing well,and its a rocket. had a great time with all of you !! thanks Jim
Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
It really amazes me. People go out and run the heck out of their stuff all summer long. Making passes out in front of Fairview running with boats all around and PWC's buzzing in and out. Along comes this run in a more controlled enviroment, paying you money in 1 thru 3 positions in some classes, plus fastest overall. It costs NO money to enter, all money donated by sponsors, and we had classes with 1 or no boats at all. Maybe its the gun.....besides it always turns out to be a great time at Tims 2

I agree
I think its the GUN, you cant BS the GUN
I hope the small turnout doesnt scare sponsors away for next year, I didnt think Sat. turnout was bad though.
Post the video in the video section, great promo for next year
Old 10-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

It really amazes me. People go out and run the heck out of their stuff all summer long. Making passes out in front of Fairview running with boats all around and PWC's buzzing in and out. Along comes this run in a more controlled enviroment, paying you money in 1 thru 3 positions in some classes, plus fastest overall. It costs NO money to enter, all money donated by sponsors, and we had classes with 1 or no boats at all. Maybe its the gun.....besides it always turns out to be a great time at Tims 2
damn wish I would of known no one entered the single v class or I would of shown up early and busted out my 70 mph run.lol! oh well . Was good seeing some people off this site as well!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Dave you must be speaking about everyone else. You are usually the first boat I see in the spring and the last boat in the fall Everyone works hard to make this a fun event. Boats from New York and Georgia made the trip.
Ya, I usually winterize around Thanksgiving. After the middle of Oct, there isn't anybody out there. The thought of "it would REALLY suck to break down" always enters my mind. Not sure if even Sea-Tow comes out once Nov. rolls around.

I understand that the run can't be done in the prime season, I'm just stating why I think there was a sparse turnout.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

The first year I did this event it was held in September. By 11am it was a nightmare from all of the regular Fairview boat traffic. I actually like the event this time of year kind of a way to put a closing on the boating season. Not to mention 2 strokes run really well in cool air
Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skaterjim
thanks Mike for place to stay sat night . after a bad wheel bearing we got home in 11 hrs on a 7and a half hour trip, but we will be back. great to see Vinny and Jimmy run that boat ,it looks like they really got it handleing well,and its a rocket. had a great time with all of you !! thanks Jim
Jim sorry about the bad luck man. Hope you can make it next summer for a poker run in this area. The James River poker run is in mid July and is one of the best in the area.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been there every year..was there sat on the finish line as normal...on my gibson...the water picked up unreal to say the least !!! just seemed this year everything was stacked against the event...broken boats, timing weather, but it's still a great event and worth the trip...it's the first time it was cancelled due to weather that I remember. we should have had some video from sat....that would have been interesting !!!! great job for those who came back and made it happen !! Rob