Virgina License Plates.. "Truck" vs "Car" Tags  and GCVWR >

Virgina License Plates.. "Truck" vs "Car" Tags and GCVWR

Notices

Virgina License Plates.. "Truck" vs "Car" Tags and GCVWR

Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Virgina License Plates.. "Truck" vs "Car" Tags and GCVWR

I just bought a F350 crew cab to tow with and I need to take that god awful trip to the DMV for titling and registration. I'd rather have a root canal!!!

Truck says 9,900 GVW on the door sticker and the previous owner had it titled as a "truck" with a GVW of 10,000 printed on the title. I found out the DMV will title it with a GVW lower than that and you can use car tags.

I have heard of some states having laws about "Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating" when towing a trailer and I think VA is one of them. I may not be towing enough weight to fall into that requirement though. I've also heard of some people getting hefty fines outside their own state when the truck and trailer isn't registered properly.

The only thing I plan on towing with this is my boat which is under 8,000 lbs with trailer, or the car trailer which is a 26' box with a 3,000 lb car plus all the race day gear. I will probably keep my towing limited to VA and MD boat ramps and racetracks. I'd rather not have to pay the extra fees for a truck registration if I don't have to or find out about restrictions of a truck tag the hard way.
Anyone know what the real deal is?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

My first dually was titled with Truck Plates - I was therefore ineligible for the 69% Car Tax relief relative to Personal Property Tax - End Result; my 1997 3500 Chevy with 297k miles cost me more in property tax than our Jaguar XJR.

When I registered this dually the weight I wrote down convienently made me eligible for passenger plates - tax problem solved....
Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Register it for 7500 gvw, at 7501 you are ineligble for the tax relief as stated above. If you don't mind paying the extra property tax then put whatever weight on it you want, that is not the expensive part. The pp tax is.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Seafordguy is right, if it has truck tags it is in-eligible for the personal property tax relief you see on cars. My dually has regular plates on it for the same reason.......but if I'm pulled and checked I'm not licensed to haul much of a load at all.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

The chances of you getting a ticket for this is highly unlikely UNLESS you are "for hire" and you are required to go into weigh stations. They would have to actually weigh you to write a citation for this...portable scales riding in the trunk of police cruisers are few and far between. My .02
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I was just reading on the hull truth about a few guys in NC that are getting pulled and weighed on portable scales....appeared to be all local tags but was surprised to see it's being actively enforced (since they don't seem to bother us in VA)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered

Philadelphia has truck enforcement that will get called if highway patrol sences something is off. I see trucks getting weighed on I-95 and Rte.1 all the time.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by In The Pink
Philadelphia has truck enforcement that will get called if highway patrol sences something is off. I see trucks getting weighed on I-95 and Rte.1 all the time.
You see trucks with boats getting weighed all the time, or trucks in general? All states have commercial vehicle enforcement but I have never known them to mess with private boat owners. Russ, I have heard about this in NC as well. The version I got is when they weighed you if you were over certain weight and length they would ticket you for not having a commercial drivers license.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

If my memory serves me correctly, The CDL requirement is over 25,001 combined weight. I had a single axle dump truck some time ago and it grossed @ 25,000#. I didn't have a CDL. .02
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

When I registered my dually I told DMV I had no idea what the weight was and the previous title from Tennessee didn't have it on it so THEY wrote in 6500lbs. and gave me regular plates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.