Trip to the Potomac >

Trip to the Potomac

Notices

Trip to the Potomac

Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to the Potomac

Friend recently moved to Stafford VA and I'm thinking of taking the boat with me for a visit in this summer.

1) Never having been on the river I want to insure my boat is up to the conditions, 1995 Baja outlaw 24.

2) Found this lauch searching the site, close to his place. Would this be a good place to start out? Granted I get through number 1). http://www.hopespringsmarina.com/

3) What would be the best direction to part from there? Sites? Beaches? Resturants?

4) What to avoid, Water Hazards? Resturants? Restricted Areas? The Potomac again number 1)

Thanks, Tom
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aven2rus
Friend recently moved to Stafford VA and I'm thinking of taking the boat with me for a visit in this summer.

1) Never having been on the river I want to insure my boat is up to the conditions, 1995 Baja outlaw 24.

That boat would be perfect for the river in almost all conditions, it doesn't get wide till way down by the Bay.

2) Found this lauch searching the site, close to his place. Would this be a good place to start out? Granted I get through number 1). http://www.hopespringsmarina.com/

I'll let one of the Potomac guys chime in, looks like a nice place and the location is good.

3) What would be the best direction to part from there? Sites? Beaches? Resturants?

Both- Washington is north with all kinds of cool things to do and see. Tim's Rivershore and Tim's 2 are nearby and further south are a couple more places like Gilligans.

4) What to avoid, Water Hazards? Resturants? Restricted Areas? The Potomac again number 1)

The river is pretty well marked and a GPS will help. If you go north near DC the bottom gets rocky so following the channels is a must, but it is wide, deep, and well marked. DC is not really restricted but if the water patrol pulls you over they will want to see some type of boating education certificate, I think even online is okay.

Thanks, Tom
We used to boat there a lot and still come back for a day or two once in a while. Nice change of pace from the Bay.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

the boat is perfect for the river. there are a lot of 24's out there every weekend. Fairview Beach is a good hang out, 3-4' water 100 yards off the beach, nice sandy bottom. Check on one of these sites for a good event and plan around that, tims2.com. gilliganspier.com, timsrivershore.com. Ooooh oooh there is a CrabbyDicks also.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Marker 8, make sure you know where it is!

Port Tobacco- be afraid, very afraid of those rednecks.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Airking
VIP Member

I live on Hope Springs Ln by Hope Springs Marina. I have boated and lived here for 20+ yrs. Look me up when you get here or before and I can help you out. Nice area to boat in. I can pm my # if you want it. Gary
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

Gary would be a great guide take him up on his offer, plenty of things to do and places to go either direction. I try to go out as much as I can I will try and help you if I can. Pm me as times comes near or before hand if you have any questions about the area
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

This is a photo of Fairview Beach in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails Trip to the Potomac-not-4th.bmp  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You might enjoy a trip upriver too. National Harbor, Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown, Washington Harbor are all cool places to visit.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Very helpful info will PM you folks when I get closer.

Great idea to plan around an event, I will look into the links.

I did see the Marker 8 post and was at the top of my list to know its location.

Thank, again,
Tom
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aven2rus
Very helpful info will PM you folks when I get closer.

Great idea to plan around an event, I will look into the links.

I did see the Marker 8 post and was at the top of my list to know its location.

Thank, again,
Tom
There is a weekly event at Tims II.
Me stomping Beak Boater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.