Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Joppa, MD

  1. #1
    Geronimo36 Gold Member Panther's Avatar
    My Boats:
    36' Apache and 21' Apache
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    11,319

    Joppa, MD

    Anyone familiar with Joppa, MD? More specifically Rumsey Island.

    Good, bad, indifferent?
    Geronimo!!

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4
    Hey Panther,
    I live in the area and boat here. Rumsey Island is off of Rt 40 and Joppa Farm Rd. Down the street on JFrd is a big full service marina called Gunpowder Cove Marina. No restaurant but everything else. Further down the road is a really nice park called Mariner's Point Park. We launch one of the boats here...38 Scarab...and we have lots of room to swing it. Super nice park. Just be careful with waterways back in there...they tend to get pretty shallow. There's a narrow channel that leads from Rumsey out under a train bridge and then you are on your way into the Bay. From there you can pick a direction and depending on your speed, you can hit some fun hang outs in 30 to 60 minutes. Happy to show you around and introduce you to some local boaters if interested. Welcome to the neighborhood.

  3. #3
    Gold Member Gold Member Dave M's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 30 Superboat
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LaPlata, MD, USA
    Posts
    4,637
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveSnakeTurkey View Post
    Hey Panther,
    I live in the area and boat here. Rumsey Island is off of Rt 40 and Joppa Farm Rd. Down the street on JFrd is a big full service marina called Gunpowder Cove Marina. No restaurant but everything else. Further down the road is a really nice park called Mariner's Point Park. We launch one of the boats here...38 Scarab...and we have lots of room to swing it. Super nice park. Just be careful with waterways back in there...they tend to get pretty shallow. There's a narrow channel that leads from Rumsey out under a train bridge and then you are on your way into the Bay. From there you can pick a direction and depending on your speed, you can hit some fun hang outs in 30 to 60 minutes. Happy to show you around and introduce you to some local boaters if interested. Welcome to the neighborhood.
    Is that the Bush River you are talking about? I put in a Bar Harbor many years ago. Lots of places to go pretty close.

  4. #4
    Geronimo36 Gold Member Panther's Avatar
    My Boats:
    36' Apache and 21' Apache
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    11,319
    Thanks guys. I'll be temporarily living in Abingdon until my house in NJ sells but looking at the maps and local listings I thought Rumsey island would be nice considering most of the houses are on canals.

    I probably wouldn't buy for at least 6-12 months but I'm starting to look at listings to see what's out there. We're not entirely sure where we want to live yet but the thought of living on the water would be really nice!
    Geronimo!!

  5. #5
    Geronimo36 Gold Member Panther's Avatar
    My Boats:
    36' Apache and 21' Apache
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    11,319
    I just heard Joppa means A$$ in Russian! LOL...

    It would be kinda funny at work... "So, where are you moving to in Maryland? Answer: A$$ Towne!"
    Geronimo!!

  6. #6
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Smarty's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Boatless
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Sewell, NJ
    Posts
    2,011
    Question for the Baltimore crowd: Is Hammerjacks still in existence? If not what became of the property? What about the days of the rally in The Alley on Fridays Happy Hour, does that still occur, or I am really living in the past?

  7. #7
    Gold Member Gold Member Dave M's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 30 Superboat
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LaPlata, MD, USA
    Posts
    4,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Question for the Baltimore crowd: Is Hammerjacks still in existence? If not what became of the property? What about the days of the rally in The Alley on Fridays Happy Hour, does that still occur, or I am really living in the past?
    It was tore down in 1997 to make way for the Raven's stadium. I saw a few shows there, Iggy Pop, Alice and Chains, Bad Company, to name a few.

  8. #8
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Smarty's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Boatless
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Sewell, NJ
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    It was tore down in 1997 to make way for the Raven's stadium. I saw a few shows there, Iggy Pop, Alice and Chains, Bad Company, to name a few.
    I am really behind the times. Thanks for the info.

  9. #9
    Geronimo36 Gold Member Panther's Avatar
    My Boats:
    36' Apache and 21' Apache
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    11,319
    Anyone know what the schools are like. I'm hearing mixed opinions.
    Geronimo!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertisers


OSO Directory
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.