Notices

Joppa, MD

Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Joppa, MD

Anyone familiar with Joppa, MD? More specifically Rumsey Island.

Good, bad, indifferent?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Panther,
I live in the area and boat here. Rumsey Island is off of Rt 40 and Joppa Farm Rd. Down the street on JFrd is a big full service marina called Gunpowder Cove Marina. No restaurant but everything else. Further down the road is a really nice park called Mariner's Point Park. We launch one of the boats here...38 Scarab...and we have lots of room to swing it. Super nice park. Just be careful with waterways back in there...they tend to get pretty shallow. There's a narrow channel that leads from Rumsey out under a train bridge and then you are on your way into the Bay. From there you can pick a direction and depending on your speed, you can hit some fun hang outs in 30 to 60 minutes. Happy to show you around and introduce you to some local boaters if interested. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JiveSnakeTurkey
Hey Panther,
I live in the area and boat here. Rumsey Island is off of Rt 40 and Joppa Farm Rd. Down the street on JFrd is a big full service marina called Gunpowder Cove Marina. No restaurant but everything else. Further down the road is a really nice park called Mariner's Point Park. We launch one of the boats here...38 Scarab...and we have lots of room to swing it. Super nice park. Just be careful with waterways back in there...they tend to get pretty shallow. There's a narrow channel that leads from Rumsey out under a train bridge and then you are on your way into the Bay. From there you can pick a direction and depending on your speed, you can hit some fun hang outs in 30 to 60 minutes. Happy to show you around and introduce you to some local boaters if interested. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Is that the Bush River you are talking about? I put in a Bar Harbor many years ago. Lots of places to go pretty close.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Thanks guys. I'll be temporarily living in Abingdon until my house in NJ sells but looking at the maps and local listings I thought Rumsey island would be nice considering most of the houses are on canals.

I probably wouldn't buy for at least 6-12 months but I'm starting to look at listings to see what's out there. We're not entirely sure where we want to live yet but the thought of living on the water would be really nice!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

I just heard Joppa means A$$ in Russian! LOL...

It would be kinda funny at work... "So, where are you moving to in Maryland? Answer: A$$ Towne!"
Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Question for the Baltimore crowd: Is Hammerjacks still in existence? If not what became of the property? What about the days of the rally in The Alley on Fridays Happy Hour, does that still occur, or I am really living in the past?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Question for the Baltimore crowd: Is Hammerjacks still in existence? If not what became of the property? What about the days of the rally in The Alley on Fridays Happy Hour, does that still occur, or I am really living in the past?
It was tore down in 1997 to make way for the Raven's stadium. I saw a few shows there, Iggy Pop, Alice and Chains, Bad Company, to name a few.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
It was tore down in 1997 to make way for the Raven's stadium. I saw a few shows there, Iggy Pop, Alice and Chains, Bad Company, to name a few.
I am really behind the times. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Anyone know what the schools are like. I'm hearing mixed opinions.