Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
Organized Down River Run - Potomac >

Organized Down River Run - Potomac

Notices

Organized Down River Run - Potomac

Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's put it together here then. No better people to make up the run then the people attending. Assuming we'll start the run around Tims/Gilligans (so we can collect the northerners)... what would you guys propose as some stops? Everyone want a long day trip or an overnight? Let's hear it. We'll get it organized and get a date together. I'm easy going, down for anything. Just like to cruise at a comfortable pace, stop at a spot for a while, then move on when everyones ready. No stress, no to the minute schedule. You guys fill in the blanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in . Could hit Kinsale Va. They got the best pizza around plus Chuckles would kill me if i didn't do the run.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kims riding me , i mean with me
Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Sounds like a plan. We did a run like that overnite to Solomons. Left Gilligan's went to Kinsale for lunch and went around to Solomons.
A couple of things to consider. With all the different sizes of boats, water conditions can take all the fun out of the ride if it gets rough. The south end of the Potomac can be a rough ride. but thats the chance you take to do it. Going north to G-Town, or Alexandria, the water is never going to get so rough to prevent anyone from doing the run. I wonder how they would like to see this group rafted off the wall at G-Town?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We rafted up about eight deep last year. We had a good reception, stayed about two to three hours. Then back to Old Town to stay the night. We had a great time.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Registered

Randy I went to Georgetown quite a bit last year, and like Bill said, even with a group of boats we had no troubles.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Seems like we have some interest... I guess for the first order of business, who wants to overnight and who wants a day trip? I've never been to Kinsale... so I'm not sure what they have to offer as far as slip space (hopefully someone can elaborate). I know that Coles Point has a good number of slips, albeit some are small, but they do have shore power, etc.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I like going up North in the spring or fall when it's not too hot. I NEVER swim north of Ft. Washington.

I'm probably more open to day trips. Most of the time I have my kids with me and try to limit their exposure to certain things.

Anybody else boat with kids?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Me and two other boating couples (not on OSO) do overnight runs below 301 all the time. Kinsale, Fitzies, Coles Point, Tall Timbers etc. It's like camping trips on the water. Fri afternoon thru Sunday usually. Since most places have a picnic area, we coordinate with each other on food and drinks and have a huge barbeque/dinner buffet each night. Sometimes we'll, eat at the marina restaurant one night and grill out the other. Either way we can enjoy the night life and stumble back to the boat afterward and hit the cabin.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
Seems like we have some interest... I guess for the first order of business, who wants to overnight and who wants a day trip? I've never been to Kinsale... so I'm not sure what they have to offer as far as slip space (hopefully someone can elaborate). I know that Coles Point has a good number of slips, albeit some are small, but they do have shore power, etc.
Kinsale usually has enough dock space. Coles Point Poker run ran in their with 20-25 boats. The resturant can be hit or miss, as far as if its open. Would have to get a date and call ahead to check.
Anyone ever get stopped going to G-Town looking for safe boating course documentation? Got mine online, but have never heard anyone getting stopped. Was told it could be a big fine, if you dont have it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.