Portsmouth VA info

Notices

Portsmouth VA info

Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portsmouth VA info

I'm getting transferred at work to Portsmouth VA this June. Any members in the the area? Anybody have some good links to info on the area? I was looking online for house rentals and it seems almost every house only has a 1 car garage. Anybody know a Realtor or is a Realtor in the area?
Thanks
Jason
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are a few members in the Hampton Roads area. They should chime in shortly. TONS and TONS of great boating down there. Make sure you sign up for the Poker Run for a Cure (Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Research) which has a thread here in the PR section of OSO.

There are some terrible areas down there, so make sure you do your homework before you commit. Also, I would highly advise not LIVING and WORKING on OPPOSITE sides of a bridge and/or tunnel. A commute which relies on such can make your life miserable with traffic complications.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's great to hear about the boating! So the bay is mostly salt water? Should I invest in closed cooling this winter?

I'm looking at a Google map and are you talking about the bridges and tunnels that run to the north areas like Newport News and Cape Charles? I think I have seen a Discovery channel episode on one of those bridges/tunnels.

Thanks
Jason
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The bay is completely saltwater. Alot of members boat without it but flush the engine throughly after every use.
What Sydwayz is refering to is those tunnels and bridges are huge constriction zones for traffic. Without an accident your going to crawl during rush hour. If anyone wrecks you might as well swim for it. You simply want to live where you don't have to cross any of those major waterways to get to work.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered

Where exactly are you going to be working? I work in Portsmouth, Va and actually live in Northeastern NC. 40 min drive, no tunnels/bridges and a big river that opens up into the sound that opens to the ocean is readily accessable. Alot cheaper to live in NC also.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
I'm getting transferred at work to Portsmouth VA this June. Any members in the the area? Anybody have some good links to info on the area? I was looking online for house rentals and it seems almost every house only has a 1 car garage. Anybody know a Realtor or is a Realtor in the area?
Thanks
Jason
North Suffolk is a very nice area with short commute to Portsmouth.....also Chesapeake would be an option with really good schools if that is a concern
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra100+
Where exactly are you going to be working? I work in Portsmouth, Va and actually live in Northeastern NC. 40 min drive, no tunnels/bridges and a big river that opens up into the sound that opens to the ocean is readily accessable. Alot cheaper to live in NC also.
Where are you NC?.....I own a business in Gates county.....sweet looking ride.......how long have you had it?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will be at the working at the big Coast Guard base, 4000 Coast Guard Boulevard. NC could be an option if the savings on housing is big enough. I have had a 45min commute the last 3 years and its starting to get old.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

There are some nice neighborhoods in Portsmouth but there are also plenty of bad ones, Portsmouth schools also would be bad. North Suffolk is nice, you could also look around Great Bridge or Greenbrier in Chesapeake, the commute wouldnt be too bad, anything in Norfolk or Virginia Beach and you will dealing with bad tunnel traffic to get to the base. If your single then Norfolk or Virginia Beach is where it's at in my opinion,

Just flush your boat after each time and you'll be fine,closed cooling would be nice but not necessary.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

You don't want to have to go across ANY of those tunnels. Trust me my father has been doing it for 30 years and it is a miserable existence over the last 15 years for him.

It's all salt.

Welcome to the area!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.