Distance to Red Eyes >

Distance to Red Eyes

Notices

Distance to Red Eyes

Old 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distance to Red Eyes

Hey guys, I got a question for anyone that routinely goes to Red Eyes in Kent Narrows. How tough of a trip is it from Solomons Island in a 22 Scarab? I am thinking of going up May 17th for a band but not sure if thats an easy trip or not. I can cruise at 40-45 so if weather is good how long and/or stupid of a trip is it?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be the best ride you have ever had or possibly the worst, not trying to scare you off but unless you have the time to wait out calm water it can be pretty bad. I've driven that run in a 26 Velocity a few times, and a 39 Velocity and also was a passenger on a 31 Warlock cat, and a 35 Formula, (on the same day) the cat overheated and that was a good thing but the ride on the 35 was awful, the boat did well but there were 4-6 footers and an occasional long swell for the entire ride. The bay gets wider and deeper farther south and if the wind and tide work together it can get rough. I'm sure some others on here will chime in. Helo pic is from '98' Full Tilt Marine rally Kent Island to Solomons. The following year we sent guys after the trucks/trailers for the trip back.
Attached Thumbnails Distance to Red Eyes-scan0009.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about 60 miles and I have done it in flat calm at 100 and in stuff so bad that we ran 15 in helmets. If the wind blows from the south at any more than 10 knots you will have 3-5s all the way. At 20 knots they are all 5s. And they are steep and short so you drive through each one.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Registered

Good to know, kinda reinforces my original thoughts of only going on a perfect day. Still sounds like it could be a nice ride. The problem with having a small boat is that if the weather goes bad your pretty much stuck where your at, lol I'm not going to be able to come back slowly if it turns ****ty.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd trailer a little further north up the Chesapeake Beach. It's a pretty decent run up to Kent Island from there. Between there and Solomons there isn't really anywhere to hide if it gets rough.

I ran my 24 Superboat all over the bay. Took some pretty good poundings though too.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not doing it in a 22' period. Just because it was a PERFECT day when you left doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect when it's time to head home. That bay has been known to get quite nasty
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered

I've never done that run but I do have experience running the bay from Deale. At one point you can think it's perfect and the all the sudden things can get rough and ugly!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:20 AM
Registered

I got a little 27 fountain and I run it from Benedict bridge to Solomon's all day in the river but the bay "no way"
I have launch out of Chesapeake beach a shot across to Eastern bay and up to red eyes but I pay close attention to the weather... Little boats are no fun in 3-5 foots lol
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
scarab
Gold Member

before my 29 I had a 22 scarab and i made the run from kent to solomons a bunch of times just check the weather before you leave and see how the day will plan out
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

It can kick up but nothing I've seen in 3 years that the Apache couldn't handle. ;-)

Then again, who wants to boat in 20-30 mph winds anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.