2008 LOTO Shootout Top Gun

Notices

2008 LOTO Shootout Top Gun

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
So the water conditions were significantly better/smoother at this location than at the Shooters location?
I ran 2 times, each day and had no problems.

I do recall having issues at the old course a few times.

The no wake area starts so far away from the
end of the course that there isn't much of a chance
of anything stirring it up.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speeds were off by exactly 10mph sat. 4 boats gps verified this issue.Thats why there were no record high speeds hopefuly next year they will get it alittle more organized. Waited for stickers for 2 hrs. Sat at the start line for 3 hrs to make a run. But will still return for better year next year.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
From my perspective, I really liked the course. I ran on Sunday. Everything was clearly marked, you knew when you were in the radar traps. Overall, Captain Ron's did a great job. Had several slips ready for inspection, a great layout for vendors and people just walking around. The awards ceremony was top notch, a great idea of having it outdoors - even supplied a cold one to all the racers waiting in line for their award.
I agree with the above analysis Ron Duggan did a fantastic job putting this Shootout on from venue to the course a tremendous effort A+.

We ran four runs two on Saturday [well on the first run I lost a power steering belt at 81MPH but got a lot of TV time as a result was towed off course] but did the repair and came back to smoke my class on Saturday. On Sunday ran two more runs and the boat was running real good after the first mishap. We were first in our class by a substantial spread in terms of MPH.

However, piston or turbine it would have been real hard to hit the high numbers on either day it was just hot and sticky. The fastboats.com turbine powered Nortech was in attendance for the poker run but absent during the Shootout.

The only suggestion I would have for racing was VHF radios for the racers. During the Desert Storm Shootout you communicated with the start vessel by radio and proceeded to the starting box when instructed by name with the next drivers called out.

The current Shootout starting procedure [following the guy/gal in front of you] was not bad and I was able to meet a few racers just be asking who they were following etc... seems Dr. Janssen's team was following me around for both days albeit they were in different boats at times. but I do remember the Fountain with twin 1075's.

The midwest boating scene is definitely a fun time--- classy people who know how to have fun---- we made a lot of friends and had an awesome time.

KAP