Houseboats on LOTO?

Notices

Houseboats on LOTO?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houseboats on LOTO?

Hi-

I am a boating fanatic from KY. We have a houseboat at Lake Cumberland. It looks like there is a chance we may be relocated to the St. Louis area. Naturally, I have been trying to check out the lakes. Are there any privately owned houseboats on LOTO? If so, which marinas accomodate them? Would I be better off selling my houseboat and buying a cabin? (I also have a 28 Nordic and a jet ski)

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hundreds!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't know about 100's, but there are quite a few. Plent of 5-60' cruisers all over. It probably depends on the size slip you need.
I think you'd be better off with a condo or house though. Its not gonna be cheap to slip a house boat and I think you'd be better off spending the money on real estate vs renting a slip.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Griff. LOTO is just a different atmosphere than Cumberland. Cumberland and Dale Hollow lend themselves to house boating. LOTO is better suited for the condo or cabin. IMO a private dock is a big plus at LOTO.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

And lets not get started on the water conditions...it really isn't suited for houseboats on LOTO...I've been to Dale Hollow and to LOTO...literally total opposites in terms of the type of boating. Both a great in their own respect, but you wouldn't see me on a houseboat at LOTO...if you need the size, look at a cruiser....if you need a place to stay, I agree with everyone else...get a condo.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Before you make a decision, spend some time at LOTO so you'll see how different it is. We spent quite a bit of time at Cumberland when we lived in KY, now are living on LOTO and the 2 lakes are like night and day.

The vast majority of the waterfront at LOTO is fully developed, meaning you can't just pull in a cove and beach your houseboat like you do at Cumberland. There are houseboats here and plenty of marinas can accomodate them, but it isn't the "houseboat friendly" lake you're used to.

The good news is it's a fantastic boating destination. We love it and I'm sure you will too. It's a different type of lake though (despite being roughly similar in size and shoreline). Most weekenders have houses/cabins/condos with slips for their smaller boats/skis....there are some good reasons for that.

Check it out first then decide. I suspect you'll wind up selling your houseboat.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Houseboats are few and far between, here at LOTO.

They just don't seem to fit the scene or water conditions here.

Docking at all the bar/restaurants would definitely be a chore.

The house or condo thing is usually the best way to go.

Last edited by 314joey; 10-18-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't there also been like 2 houseboats sunk this year do to waves? We boat on both lakes a lot. LC is NOTHING like LOTO in terms of water. On a holiday weekend it is rougher than you could ever imagine LC being. I would sell the houseboat and get a condo and upgrade the 28 to a 30+ and you will be in boating heaven (minus the anal water patrol) there. They actually ahve restaurants and bars that you can ride on your boat to and get a drink without having to sit outside and sneak a coozie up. You will love LOTO.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered

If you check out LOTO you should see the diffrent parts of the lake Our house is at the 44MM and it is a totaly diffrent world than from the dam to about the 25MM. I would never want a house in the low numbers, Having your own dock and house is great.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

we have a couple condos at the 20 1/2 mm and love the condo life. Griff can vouche for the fun that we have...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.